Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

Today

We decided to stay another day at Melbourne Marina. We planned to cross the bridge today so that we could go to the beach. The harbor master told us it was a mile, so we set off with Timmy, a carryall for him and lots of water. This was our first day with temperatures in the 80's. As we headed in that direction, Timmy met a friend who told him it was actually closer to two miles. It was approaching midday(only fools and Englishmen go out in the midday sun) so I was slightly concerned for Timmy. As it turned out, it was 2 1/2 miles. It was a challenge for us all- there was little shade, but fortunately no hills unless the slight incline of the bridge counts. When we got to the beach, Timmy immediately lay down in the wet sand by the water. It was tempting to video him, but I took pity on him and warned him that the waves were coming to engulf him. We had a short walk on the beach where we kept our toes in the cool water. We then found a nice Mediterranean restaurant for a quick lunch before heading back over the bridge. A five mile walk under our belts, we enjoyed early evening drinks whilst getting a load of washing done. Planning to head towards an anchorage at Vero Beach tomorrow after blowing up the dinghy.


Comments