Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

No Name Harbor

The weather will keep us here another couple of days and I am glad. This is why we headed to the Keys. The water is aqua green. Mangroves line the bay so we went on an iguana safari in the dinghy. We also saw a manatee basking in the sun for so long we thought it was dead, and then it’s nose came up to breathe. There is an open air bar in the evening where you can watch the sunset. We met our new friends from Gone Away their last night. There is also a restaurant with amazing Cuban food. Why do they have a hard time finding a name for this place? It is clearly Paradise Harbor. We walked to a beautiful lighthouse yesterday. We got there right at 1:00, just in time for the daily tour! Dogs were not allowed so John and I took it in turns. Climbing a spiral staircase for five minutes and then walking round the top of the lighthouse on a narrow metal walkway was certainly a challenge for me. I was glad John was too far away to take a picture of me gripping the wall as I inched around, hardly looking down. Going down the spiral staircase was even more challenging. It seemed to be the custom for those going up to continue holding the handrail, and those going down to let go and move to the narrower middle. I reluctantly let go of the handrail and sat on the narrow step until they passed. Wimpy but ingenious! We then went for lunch at the lighthouse cafe to recover before walking back to the harbor. We felt hot and sticky of course. John took a little dip in the harbor and then rinsed off with our outdoor shower head. When John was taking his dip, the crew from Gone Away called over to us. We could not quite catch what they said, so nodded, smiled and gave them the thumbs up. At the bar that evening, it was revealed that they were saying - sharks! So that plan for getting clean is off the table. My choice today, as I cannot avoid it any longer, is a warm shower while sitting on the head, a cold shower on the back of the boat, or a cold shower at the beach. At the beginning of the trip I was concerned about using the common showers at the marinas- that option feels like a luxury now. Perhaps Paradise Harbor is too generous…


Comments