Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

A slow sail

We had a lovely start to the day. As we set off for Timmy’s walk, we noticed lots of fish at our dock - five parrot fish, three lobsters and two Sergeant Majors. Our own mini aquarium. After Timmy’s walk, John and I went for a last swim at the marina’s pool and then braved the shabby showers. Mine was pretty good, but John didn’t have any hot water! Oh well - it is 80 degrees outside.There was not much wind today but we got the sails up and I took the helm until we went into the Hawk channel. John then took over to try and get as much speed as we could. We ended up power sailing most of the way to ensure we got to our anchorage before dark. We actually stopped at an anchorage a little before the one we had intended as there was plenty of space and a nice looking beach close by. We quickly anchored and took the dinghy in to the beach. Once there, we were able to read a no trespassing sign that suggested you leave for your own protection. We laughed as the no-see- ums began to attack. We gave Timmy some time to do his business before obeying the warning. I was walking towards Timmy and John when I heard a snorting noise coming from the undergrowth. We did not wait around to find out what it was, we grabbed Timmy and got back in the dinghy- definitely time for pre dinner drinks. We enjoyed sunset and we have not heard any mosquitos yet. It is warm but there is a gentle breeze so hoping for a good night before we find shelter tomorrow, either at a good anchorage or Key West Marina - yep, more windy weather on the way.


Comments