Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

The voyage back

I slept really well last night. I woke up at 5:30, just half an hour before the alarm went off. John and I both got up at 6, ready to have a quick breakfast and prepare Solitude for the trip back. We wanted to leave as soon as it was light enough to give us the best chance of sailing all the way back to Key West. I poked my head out of the hatch to see if it was getting light yet. It was not, but the stars, fresh breeze, and glassy bay were worth enjoying. We finished preparations right at seven just as the darkness was beginning to lighten. Another boat was leaving and we followed them out. The bay was no longer glassy as small waves were already building. As we left the bay, the waves were around 2 feet and the wind was picking up. We raised the sails with a reef in the main and were able to turn the engine off. We were maintaining a good 5 knots but the waves kept getting bigger and bigger. Solitude was being picked up by the waves giving the helm a sense of being lifted by a giant, and then placed down again. Not choppy waves, but big. I was able to helm for a short period but the giant overpowered me. John took over and kept the helm until we neared the Marquesas. I gave him breaks to pee, eat and adjust the sails, but otherwise John was happy to sail as efficiently as possible. We were getting between 5.5 and 6.5 knots without the engine. The wind was consistently around 15 until we neared the Marquesas. Needless to say, we made great time and it was obvious that we should be able to get to Key West before dark. The waves had settled down to around 3 feet and continued to dwindle as we approached Key West. We only turned the motor on as we got to the channel. Three shrimp boats were coming out as we were going in, and we could see the tourist boats heading out for the sunset cruises. It was in sharp contrast to the rest of the journey when we only saw one other sailboat. It seemed to take forever to get up the channel to Key West. We were both feeling pleased that we did not have to anchor at the Marquesas, but I could not relax knowing that we still had to get the sails down and there would be no dockhands to help us into the marina as they go home at 5. The bay was not as busy as it could have been but there was a kayak, a dinghy, and a catamaran as I held Solitude head to wind while John took the sail down. I slowly got her back on the route so John could negotiate all the hazards. We docked safely at the Marina fuel dock,thanks to my timely leap from the boat. Back safely in 12 hours. How do I feel? Thanks for asking! Relieved, proud, thrilled- the same feeling you get having completed an exam you studied hard for. Yep, it was a great adventure and I am glad and slightly amazed that nothing went wrong.


Comments