Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

Key West

I have to say I was pretty glad to be back at Key West today. It felt like coming home. Having spent last night on the fuel dock we were assigned a slip this morning. We moved over, got the electricity going and had breakfast. We then rushed over to set the laundry going and have long luxurious showers. It is not a problem when you both smell but we felt a lot better afterwards. In case you were wondering, Timmy snuck into the bathroom with me and laid on a towel while I showered. Lucky for him, we ran out of time for his shower-he will have to wait until tomorrow. John and I then did a walking tour of Key West to learn about some of the history. We did not stay the course though and diverted to The Boat House for happy hour. We had arranged to meet our new friends from the Dry Tortugas there- Ruth-Ann and John. They were the ones who texted Jim to let him know we had arrived safely. Life is so much more fun without the ease of cell phone use. John and I got a head start on drinks before they arrived. We had a lot in common so it was a super evening. After our meal we went to watch the sun go down at Mallory Square. When we were walking back we bumped into Karen and Josh from Gone Away. Introductions were made and we all chatted for five minutes before continuing on our way. The big news from Gone Away is that they have bought another boat - a motor cat (gasp - they have gone over to the other side). They will sell Gone Away so they can travel longer distances in a motor boat. They are from Canada after all. Back on the Solitude, we are planning our trip to an anchorage tomorrow as we head back towards Marathon. Our idea is to stay in a marina in Marathon for a couple of days when some more bad weather comes through. Whilst there, we will plan our next adventure - Bahamas, or more of Florida - the research continues and the weather will be the deciding factor.


Comments