Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

It’s Better in the Bahamas

Or maybe the saying is- Life’s Better in the Bahamas. Either way, we have chosen a super little spot in Bimini Cove Marina. There are fewer than 20 boats and we already know half the cruisers here. Mary and Scott went into the town yesterday and brought us a loaf of Bahamian bread which made for a wonderful lunch. John spent the morning lying flat on the floor. His back has decided to complain about all the lifting, pulling, twisting that has been going on for the last couple of months. For those of you unfortunate enough to have suffered from a bad back, you know that the pain is all consuming. Luckily, swimming, or being in a pool, seems to help, and we were able to spend most of the afternoon in the most beautiful infinity pool in the world, overlooking a beach and the Bahamian turquoise ocean. This evening, a dozen of so of us met back at the pool area for a pot luck dinner. We met couples from all over the US and beyond, who all had more experience than we do, so we enjoyed hearing all the stories. We ended the evening by being invited for a nightcap by Louis and Serge (French Canadians) on their 44 foot Catalina. It was beautiful and had three cabins so they could use one whole cabin for storage and still have extra room. Timmy chose the cabin with an adjustable mattress. Serge and Louise seemed quite keen to keep him. I did suggest a trade - the boat for Timmy, but upon reflection I am rather glad they refused. However it is definitely hard to see the interior of Solitude beneath the provisions, clothes, dog beds, seat cushions, tools and extra anchor. We are going to have to get more creative with storage solutions but it will get easier each week as we get through water, cereals and alcohol…


Comments