Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

The alternator problem

Most of the people in the marina know we have a problem with the alternator. Last night, John, Scott and Greg thought they could get a wheel ( or pulley as they are now calling it) from a spare alternator Greg had. By sharing tools and expertise they were able to remove it. Alas, although the exterior measurements were correct, the hole in the middle was too big. The next morning, Mary and a friend had organized a breakfast under the gazebo. On the way there, John talked to another couple who had alternator woes, then spoke to the dock master , King. John then called a mechanic, Quentin, who they both recommended. We joined the others for breakfast. It was so much fun. We went to Mary’s boat where she had laid out bowls with eggs and chopped vegetables and meat such as onion, peppers, ham and bacon. And lots of shredded cheese. We each took a small freezer bag and cracked two eggs into it. We squished the eggs in the bag and then added the chopped items we wanted. Under the gazebo, we placed the bags in a pot of simmering water. Fifteen minutes later we had a perfect omelet! Breakfast takes a couple of hours when outside with good food and company. During that time, Quentin met with John and left with the new alternator to see if he had the right pulley at his workshop. We spent the afternoon cleaning the boat while waiting for word from Quentin. By mid afternoon we were told that the pulley we need is in Nassau and that it will be on a plane today or tomorrow. By late afternoon we received an update that it will be tomorrow. Knowing island time, John and I are hoping it will arrive before we, and our friends, are due to leave for Hoffman Key on Wednesday. Photo of the three (unsuccessful) mechanics.


Comments