Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy

The unmissable reef

Unfortunately the no-see-ums and mosquitos plagued us most of the night as there were rain showers and no wind - not a good combination. Oh well, on to the luxury of Chubb Cay Marina today- air conditioning, showers, toilets and (don’t tell John) a spa! First, we took Timmy to the beach knowing he had been denied his right to basic needs the day before. Amy and Bruce were already there with a very relieved Roxy. They told us they were going to snorkel today as there was no sign of the pesky sea lice. ‘That sounds good’ we smiled, ‘we will check the weather and may join you before we go to Chubb’. When we returned to Solitude John wanted to take up the stern anchor as the wind had changed direction last night and was strengthening. Before we started, Kathie and Greg dinghied over to say goodbye. ‘Well’, we said ‘we are going to join you for snorkeling, so we will come and anchor nearer the beach.’ That done, we joined everyone else on the beach and snorkeled to the reef. It was a good decision. The reef was small but beautiful with red and yellow fans and a huge variety of little fish. I was absorbed in their silent world as small schools of fish went about their business unaware of my presence. Sergeant Majors, purple and grey Angel Fish and many varieties I could not name swam inches away from me. Added to which, the water was warm and we were with friends, not tourists. We lounged on the beach afterwards and it was decided we would go to Spanish Wells with everyone else tomorrow. We can enjoy a few days exploring Spanish Wells, and then go to Chubb Cay before heading back to Bimini and Florida. Two hours later, the plan changed again as we all checked the weather. The northerly winds are leading to big waves tomorrow. So the plans went around in circles all day. We enjoyed another swim and beach time using Timmy’s walk time as an excuse. We returned in time to start supper - soup and cheese toast. Not bad considering supplies are dwindling. We were just about to settle down for the evening when Greg called us to say he had moved to a much quieter location five minutes away. With sunset approaching, we made a quick decision to join him. Never make quick decisions unless you have to. As we followed the route he had taken, the seas got rougher and rougher. We were only a couple of hundred feet from where we had anchored but the difference was amazing. The waves were we had anchored were about 1 to 2 feet but we were swinging a lot. These waves were three to five feet and choppy as we headed to the new anchorage. Solitude was being tossed around. We had not secured the cabin and could hear things crashing, dropping and clanking. We had a narrow cut ahead of us where it was imperative to stay in the middle or we would run aground. John quickly turned around. ‘It is too rough, I am not risking it.’ I was in full agreement, not that it mattered. We went through a cut to the north which was only two minutes away but completely calm. There are four other boats here but John is happy with our spot. It looks too close to the rocky island to me, but John assures me the wind will not change direction. He had to talk me through all the -what ifs and show me the anchor alarm. We reduced the radius on the anchor alarm to alert us if there is a problem. John finds this comforting and is looking forward to a good nights sleep in our protected anchorage. I am determined not to worry about it. I will let you know tomorrow if determination or worries ruled overnight. Still not quite sure what we will do tomorrow but I suspect it will be more beach time.


Comments