Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

On the move

I had intended to write a blog yesterday, detailing our final preparations and plans. As it happened, the final preparations and plans were so intense that I chose sleep over writing. We knew we had a lot to do on Saturday and it did not help that John woke up with a hangover after enjoying a great meal at The British Open pub with the Compass Point Crowd. To be clear, the hangover was absolutely and in no way John’s fault. He was on his third and last pint of Guinness when the waitress announced they had poured an extra one. What else was he supposed to do? The next thing against us was that our car appeared to be leaking oil. We noticed it when we had driven out of Bill and Deb’s driveway after utilizing their washer and dryer for half a day on Friday. We saw a wet patch and assumed it was water. However when we returned, it was still there. We parked further back as we picked up the final wash and when we looked under the car, there was another patch. The boys determined it was oil. We had only just had the car serviced so guessed they had messed something up. First thing on Saturday (after coffee and headache pills), John called the garage and we arranged to go in. To their credit, they immediately got the car up to look at it and reported, before I had even started my hot chocolate and HGTV program, that everything was dry. John called Bill - ‘Ah’, ‘ so our other friends’ (you have other friends?) ‘just called to say their (new) car was out of oil when they got home after dropping us off’. So with some heartfelt apologies to our garage as we may have been a tad stroppy, we set off back to Hilton Head for the next task. We went to our other friend, also Deb, to use her sewing machine to fix the helm cover. She was able to give us instructions (well, as much as John will take instructions), thread, cord and grommets. Our helm cover now looks like new. Back at the boat, John worked on the engine. The leak is fixed but he is now working on some wiring to fix the fuel lift pump. We were then off to Jim’s to pick up the last of our packages. We had arranged to have a meal with Bill and Deb, so picked up some pizza on our way back and were only ten minutes late (which is less than usual). After pizza, John dropped the car off with Morris and Morris dropped him back at the marina. You may detect a bit of a theme here. We are so grateful to our friends on Hilton Head who support us like family. We could not follow our dreams without you. That’s as soppy as it gets, I am English after all. Before bed, we stowed items and checked the weather so we were prepared for an 8 am start. John visibly relaxed as we headed away from Skull Creek Marina this morning. He has been like a caged lion the last few days. We had a super smooth, uneventful, three hour motorsail to Beaufort. Twenty minutes after pulling into our slip we were in Downtown Beaufort, choosing a restaurant for lunch. John will call the Beaufort Courthouse this evening to see if he is still required for jury duty tomorrow.


Comments