s/v LONG WINDID - Crossed our wake and finally home

Dan and I are refitting Long Windid for our next adventure late 2020

13 July 2019 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, California
23 May 2019 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu
27 August 2018 | Ko Olina Marina
21 March 2018 | Ko Olina Marina
18 July 2017 | Boynton Beach, Florida
01 May 2017 | Oahu, Hawaii
24 January 2017 | Ko Olina Marina
30 December 2016 | Boynton Beach, Florida
29 November 2016 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu Hawaii
10 November 2016 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu Hawaii
20 October 2016 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu Hawaii
24 September 2016 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu Hawaii
09 July 2016 | Honolulu, Hawaii
06 June 2016
04 June 2016 | South/North Pacific
02 June 2016
31 May 2016 | Penrhyn Island
30 May 2016 | Penrhyn, Cook Islands
09 May 2016 | Savusavu, Fiji
23 April 2016 | Inside Long Windid

Finally, Closed the Loop

13 July 2019 | Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, California
Dan Slattery | Cool and Breezy
We hoisted and trimmed the sails for wind speed, angle and sea state. Pushed the auto pilot button and let Long Windid do the rest. Twenty (20) days, eighteen (18) hours and two (02) minutes later, with a few more tweaks of the sails along the way, we arrived safely on July 9th with "flags flying" in San Pedro, California. Glad to be able to cross our wake to close the loop and be on the mainland once again.

Is She Ready?

23 May 2019 | Ko Olina Marina, Oahu
Marla Slattery | Sunny, Breezy and Hot
It’s been nearly three years since Long Windid’s last major passage when her crew sailed 30 days up from the island paradise of Savusavu, Fiji. Since departing San Diego, Long Windid has provided us with safe, comfortable and reliable travel while covering a distance of nearly 15,000 hard fought nautical miles. Today, she is comfortably moored and lovingly pampered in a slip at the resort area of Ko Olina Marina on the western side of Oahu, Hawaii. In a few short weeks, Long Windid will be asked to shake out the cobwebs and deliver Dan and myself safely on a 20-25 day voyage across the Pacific to the mainland, as if we never stopped. She has been our floating home all this time in Hawaii. We know her “on-board systems” work perfectly well, it's the “sailing systems” that we need to be confident in once again. So, prior to leaving the island, we will stress the boat on a short shakedown cruise. If everything checks out properly and we suspect they will, we will depart sometime early June. Our primary goal is to get Long Windid safely back home to San Diego and close the loop on our Pacific circumnavigation. Before making the jump, we will be looking for a favorable eight (8) day weather window to plan our exit route. After the initial eight days, we will be at the mercy of the ever changing Pacific High. While under way, we will receive daily satellite weather updates and make route adjustments as we proceed. The wind circulating around the Pacific High moves in an unorganized clockwise pattern. Skirting the outside edges of the High generally means a more comfortable ride. The biggest concern with being too close to the edge is it puts us in a position where the High can easily move over the top of the boat. Getting caught in the interior (known as the doldrums or no wind zone) is not a good situation for a sailboat to be in. Long Windid only carries enough fuel to motor approx. 600 nautical miles, so motoring through the Pacific High is not a viable option. The real question for us is, how far north will we have to travel before the favorable winds allow us to head east? If the High requires us to go further north into the colder latitudes, then we will stop and visit the Pacific Northwest before heading home. On the other hand, if the High moves south as it normally does during the early summer months, then maybe we won't have to go as far north. We can then cut a few corners to shorten our trip and head directly to San Diego. The answers will only be revealed once we venture out.
A vast number of cruisers we have spoken to in Hawaii regarding their adventures and plans had said they intended on staying only a season or two. However, most have lingered much longer than originally anticipated for various reasons. The more time a cruising boat spends on this island, the harder it is to leave. We've experienced the islands gravitational pull while dealing with our own boat related issues. Dan knows of at least five boats from last season that left only to return due to mechanical and/or system failures. Ko Olina is by far the nicest marina in Hawaii and is full of cruising boats that are sadly in various stages of disrepair or just worn out. Many of these boats are unlikely to ever find their way safely back home. We only hope Long Windid will not be among them.
If you are interested in following us, we will post a link on this page just prior to leaving so you can track our daily progress.

Handwriting on the Wall

27 August 2018 | Ko Olina Marina
Marla / Hurricane Lane Remanant
This past May, Dan and I were in Florida. I was taking care of Mom while Dan was studying charts and guide books in preparation for our passage to the Pacific Northwest. We were looking forward to leaving the beautiful tropical islands of Hawaii for a completely different cruising experience. It was time to leave. We had become too comfortable in Hawaii and like other cruisers in the area, we began growing roots here.
Prior to flying to Florida in March, we had Long Windid hauled out at a local boatyard to have her bronze strut replaced due to galvanic corrosion. It was a major dirty reconstruction job, a real mess. While the prop shaft was out of the boat, it was suggested that the packing gland be replaced. Dan agreed, since we had issues with the current gland spitting salt water into the bilge. It's rather unnerving to hear your bilge pump go off in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. While all eyes were focused on the strut repair work, a yard worker was given the simple task of installing the new packing gland. Once the work was completed, Long Windid was relaunched and motored five minutes away to her slip. Dan and I were confident that we were now ready for our jump off date of (weather permitting) early June to the Pacific Northwest. Only fluids needed to be changed before departing, but that could wait until we return from Florida.
Once we returned (three months later), Dan began changing main engine fluids. He tried to start the engine and it wouldn't turn over. Investigating, he opened up the exhaust mixing elbow and seawater poured out of the engine into the bilge. Sickened by the sight, Dan traced the plumbing. It was obvious the newly installed packing gland was plumbed incorrectly and seawater had siphoned directly into the engine. While we were gone, saltwater sat inside the cylinders and corroded (welded) the piston rings to the cylinder walls. Long Windid's well maintained and low hour Yanmar diesel engine was seized rock solid.
There go our plans to cruise to the Pacific Northwest. Now we had a big and expensive issue to deal with. What do we do, who do we turn to? First, we contacted our insurance company and filed a claim. Then, we visited the boatyard to let them know that we were very unhappy with the installation of the packing gland and told the general manager what we suspected cause the seized engine. Our insurance company immediately sent an investigator to assess the damage, took a boat load (no pun intended) of photos and wrote an extensive report. Days later, through the boating community grapevine, the boat yard had heard we contacted our insurance company and the general manager called to say they would take full and complete responsibility for the seized diesel engine and make it right without getting the insurance companies involved. We agreed to have our insurance company "stand down" and within a week a new Yanmar 4JH57 diesel engine, gearbox and electronic gear was ordered from Japan.
While waiting for our new engine to arrive, there wasn't a person on this island that we spoke to, believed we would ever get the engine replaced let alone installed by this boat yard or any other yard on this island. We had faith the general manager would be true to his word. Weeks went by, no word about the engine being shipped from Japan. Our insurance agent would call from time to time for an update in case we wanted to take another path to remedy our situation. Finally, we were told the engine was shipped. I figured two weeks to the distributor on the west coast of the mainland and then a week back to Oahu. Dan and I continued making adjustments on our calendar for a possible departure date.... now for San Diego, since we missed our weather opportunity for the Pacific Northwest. Weekly, the yard would give us the best update they could. No definitive arrival date to the port of Los Angeles. Weeks later, we learn the ship finally arrived but the container of new Yanmar engines is now being held up in customs for a discrepancy on the bill of laden. "How long can U.S. customs hold a container?" we thought. Well, get out the calendar, we'll just leave a week or two later. To see our calendar, it's a mess with all of the different departure dates. Worn out emotionally, (early August) Dan and I decided that if we can't leave by September 1st, we will have to stay another year. Major storms from the Aleutian Islands work their way down the coast and hurricanes off the coast of Central America traveling across the Pacific are a real concern this late in the season. After six long and agonizing weeks the engine was released from customs and arrived in Oahu. Once again, spending another week in the boat yard, they removed the old engine and installed the new one under the watchful eye of Dan. We were still hopeful to be able to make our departure date, but the window of opportunity was closing quickly. Long Windid was prepared, provisioned and ready to go after the mandatory 50-hour new engine break in period is completed. By mid-August, Dan and I put Long Windid through her paces by running laps up and down the leeward side of Oahu. We were able to log 25 hours on the new engine before we were facing a category 4 hurricane headed our way. Now, we found ourselves stripping the boat of its windage. Everything needed to be removed from on deck. We then centered Long Windid in the slip and secured her by triple tying the dock lines to the cleats. All we could do was wait for Hurricane Lane to hit and hope for the best. What other challenge could Neptune place in front of us to keep us from leaving this island??? The "hand writing was on the wall", it's been there for months, we were just too anxious to notice. Leaving this year just wasn't meant to be and we should have realized it earlier. Oh well, we'll just wait for next year's weather window, and maybe we will get to the Pacific Northwest after all.

Room with a View

21 March 2018 | Ko Olina Marina
Marla / Warm and Breezy
After nearly two years in beautiful Oahu Hawaii, (with mixed emotions and some sadness), it's time to head north to catch the easterly trade winds that will deliver us to the Pacific Northwest, as we originally planned. We'll be leaving Hawaii sometime the end of May / beginning of June, weather permitting.
While in Fiji, we had Long Windid hauled out to have her bottom painted and the running gear inspected. It was then that Dan first noticed the strut, which is normally a brass color, had started to turn pink. This meant electrolysis was attacking and weakening the strut. Dan searched the interior of the boat for the cause of the attack and found a bonding wire had broken loose. He re-attached the wire to the strut which protruded thru the bottom of the boat, thinking that would fix the problem. Fast forward two years... in preparation for our Pacific Northwest passage, we pulled the boat to paint her bottom and have some below the waterline work done. Dan was sickened to find the strut had become even more deteriorated - to a point that dead pieces of metal had broken off the strut's leading edge. It was obvious we had to replace it. We couldn't take the chance of wrapping a rope or fishing net around the propeller and snapping off the strut. Puncturing a hole in the bottom of Long Windid in the middle of the Pacific, since I don't swim would be catastrophic. It took 12 weeks to have the strut fabricated and shipped to Oahu from England. Since the busy yard had an opening to accommodate us, we once again had Long Windid hauled out for the replacement to be installed. Normally, Dan would have had the work done when I was on the mainland. But since I wanted to oversee the major project, I decided to stay on board in what turned out to be a "major construction site". This meant climbing up and down an extension ladder 4-5 times a day for five long hot days. I was living with paint residue, metal and fiberglass grindings, dirt, grim and the smell of resin and solvents strong enough to turn your stomach. We had to sleep on the floor in the salon, since our stateroom was the construction site. However, from our second-floor loft, 12 feet in the air, I could see my lagoon calling for me.
YES" ...I stayed on board. All part of the adventure!
What caused the failure of our original strut??? It wasn't something as simple as the bonding wire Dan found broken. It turned out the bonding strap, a 1 ½ wide braided wire that connects all of the bonding wires to thru hulls and under water gear throughout the boat. The strap had completely corroded beneath the exhaust and fuel hoses. It's not until you have to tear everything out of the boat in order to get to the strut box, that this could have ever be found.

Better Late Than Never

18 July 2017 | Boynton Beach, Florida
Marla / Warm and Humid
Prior to departing San Diego for Mexico over three years ago, just like most other cruisers preparing for an extended voyage, our original "to do" list was not only extensive, but also expensive and exhausting. Our prioritized list focused mainly on boat systems and other projects making sure Dan and I would be living as comfortable as possible while cruising Long Windid in the warm tropics. As hard as we worked toward completing each task, it always seemed we needed more time before our departure date.
What I remember about the list, was way down at the bottom, Dan was to get his scuba diving certification while still in San Diego.
Scuba diving is an activity Dan wanted to further participate in since his introductory dive nearly twenty years ago when we first visited Bora Bora. To sell me on the idea, Dan figured once certified, he could explore the beautiful underwater gardens of the Pacific. That wasn't one of his more convincing arguments but when he mentioned he could also deal with any boat related issues below the waterline, I was sold but only if all the other tasks had been completed and there was still sufficient time. Looking back, we should have made the time to get him certified.
Diving services in most countries are non-existent. While anchored, Dan would always put on his mask and fins to dive on the boat wiping off the growth from her bottom. It seems his inability to hold his breath longer than 17 seconds at a time made for long exhausting days to complete the job. He would also spend hours snorkeling the reef systems at each beautiful location.
While in Florida, Dan is fortunate that my son Mike and our beautiful daughter-in-law Iris who are avid divers, have encouraged him to dive with them. So, Dan decided to finally take the courses needed and has successfully completed his "Advance Open Water Certification". Now, after traveling through some of the most beautiful dive spots in the world, Dan is finally a certified diver! Obviously a little late and a bit after the fact for the South Pacific, but there are still plenty of beautiful places to dive in Florida and more warm water destinations to come.
For me, I'm still just as happy to lounge on deck above the waterline!


01 May 2017 | Oahu, Hawaii
Marla / Warm and Breezy
Since we have been cruising Mexico and the South Pacific, Dan and I have been pushed along from country to country by customs and immigration officials due to visa expiration dates. Kinda' cruisers graduation of sorts.
Now that we are in the Hawaii, there are no time restrictions. "Island time" has become a way of life for us. It's very easy to find yourself putting off tasks and projects for another day just to enjoy the moment. The project list for Long Windid has been neglected. Recently, Dan figured that if he got a part time job at West Marine, his days off would become more important and therefore more productive. His strategy seems to have paid off because he has once again become motivated and is working hard on Long Windid projects. Me on the other hand, my motivation is to continue to enjoy my tropical lagoon.
We will be going back to Florida to be with my Mom this coming week. As much as we hate to leave here we are looking forward to seeing family and friends on the mainland again. Planning on returning to Hawaii middle of August.
Hope you all have a wonderful summer!

Vessel Name: s/v LONG WINDID
Vessel Make/Model: 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey CC
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Dan and Marla Slattery
About: Dan and I have been cruising the Pacific for over four years and are in Oahu, Hawaii with plans to travel the Pacific Northwest early this summer.
Origin of the name “Long Windid” Noticing a large luxury yacht anchored off Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island, Dan got in his dinghy to check it out. As he circled the yacht, the captain and 4 crew members all dressed in white, were unloading the “toys” from the transom garage. Looking [...]
s/v LONG WINDID's Photos - Main
19 Photos
Created 27 August 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 March 2018
21 Photos
Created 18 July 2017
65 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
37 Photos
Created 28 January 2017
Photos Courtesy of Sue and Emil Dopyera
46 Photos
Created 10 October 2016
Photo's of Fiji to Hawaii trip Courtesy of Nick Sandford
76 Photos
Created 26 July 2016
27 Photos
Created 26 July 2016
Day trip to the major city on the island of Vanua Levu.
8 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
Updated photos of Savusavu
12 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
We spent 4 days on the coast of Makogai after Tropical Cyclone Winston hit the island
13 Photos
Created 11 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
Quick trip to Auckland, New Zealand
9 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
Photo's courtesy of Jack and Karen
23 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
Mamanuca and Yasawa, Island Group
13 Photos
Created 13 September 2015
One of Marla and my favorite places in Fiji
14 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
Photos courtesy of Rich Freeman. Marla and I visited caves on the island of Nuie during our stop and go.
7 Photos
Created 24 August 2015
A band of 30 gypies on five boats from 14 different countries travel all over the world. They perform for the local school children and at various marinas and harbors along their way. Not as polished as Cirque du Soleil but very entertaining with a high degree of energy and passion. Admission is free but tips or donations are graciously accepted.
2 Photos
Created 20 August 2015
A strikingly beautiful atoll in the Tuamotus of the South Pacific.
3 Photos
Created 18 August 2015
Spent four days and long nights with the Techno band stand below our hotel room. But we loved being a part of the event.
20 Photos
Created 17 August 2015
Moorea is a very picturesque island and famous for it.
25 Photos
Created 17 August 2015
A tuff but rewarding journey.
42 Photos
Created 12 May 2015
There's a reason why we spent more time in Purerto Vallarta than any other place.
25 Photos
Created 19 February 2015
Long Windid's interior for safe and comfortable passages.
19 Photos
Created 30 January 2015
22 Photos
Created 25 January 2015
You have to see it to believe it. The contrast between the resort side and the town is astonishing.
14 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
The perfect small village anchorage.
6 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
The perfect Mexican villiage
11 Photos
Created 12 January 2015
Club Med style anchorage. A little crowed and noisy for our taste.
3 Photos
Created 5 January 2015
Historic, Bells of San Blas
17 Photos
Created 4 January 2015
Probably our favorite destination so far.
20 Photos
Created 21 December 2014
Rustic yet beautiful
8 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2014
19 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
10 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
8 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
12 Photos
Created 13 October 2014
Major project before trip
12 Photos
Created 14 September 2014
1 Photo
Created 17 May 2014
Winds from the mainland with 4 to 5 foot swells in harbor.
5 Photos
Created 30 April 2014
Historic harbor
4 Photos
Created 21 April 2014
4 Photos
Created 21 April 2014
Shorter than expected stay
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 April 2014
Two week stay at the Isthmus and 4th of July Cove
10 Photos
Created 20 April 2014
Four weeks in Avalon during our shake down cruise of the Channel Islands
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2014

s/v Long Windid Crew

Who: Dan and Marla Slattery
Port: San Diego, California

Follow the Travels of Long Windid

Windy Weather Forecast Live Tracking of Long Windid Site Meter