s/v LONG WINDID

"We're grateful for being here, wherever here is."

Detour

Nick, Steve and I traveled 1,200nm with light to moderate winds at the bow of Long Windid for 10 days and only made 900nm towards Christmas Island. We left Western Samoa with a close hauled route that would give us easting before heading north as the traditional northeast winds would eventually blow us to our destination. Three hundred miles into our voyage we ran into the South Pacific Convergence Zone (SPCZ). This is an area of very moist and unstable weather. An area where squalls, thunderstorms and light to no wind reside. Instead of vigilantly picking our way through over 200 miles of unpredictable and often dangerous weather, we decided to sail 300nm east around the SPCZ against the current, winds and large swells. Commanders Weather, our weather router, suggested we continue to sail further east setting us up for a better wind angle to Christmas Island. We used more fuel than budgeted the last two hundred miles while traveling further east, so we decided to make a refueling stop in Penrhyn Island, one the the North Cook Islands. Because we landed on a Sunday and nothing is open, we planned to refuel and reprovision Long Windid on Monday morning. Hope to leave for Christmas Island in the evening, approx. 660nm north.


Comments