s/v LONG WINDID

"We're grateful for being here, wherever here is."

It's Great to be Back!

Steve, Nick and I scrambled to finish our remaining tasks before departing Christmas Island with the limited amount of time that customs and immigration extended to us. With a great sense of relief, we were finally under way towards Honolulu, Hawaii, the last leg of our voyage. We left the lagoon as the sun was about to set below the horizon. As we emerged from the shadow of the northern tip of the Island, the wind began to build from the east-north-east and we found ourselves on a beam reach that carried us all the way to Honolulu. The easting we did during the earlier stages of our voyage had finally paid off. Boat speed was consistently in the upper 6kts range with an occasional 8 knots. However, the upper limits of speed, had put a great deal of stress on the standing rigging and the rest of the equipment. As the days rolled on, I could only think of what could have happened if Marla and I hadn't had the standing rigging replaced before this trip. Losing the mast would have been catastrophic. Fortunately for the crew and I, there was no real drama and nine days later we pulled into Ala Wai Harbor situated along the Honolulu waterfront and east of Waikiki Beach. We side tied at the old fuel dock which is now the Happy Face Yacht Club. After the three of us spent time getting Long Windid ship shape, I contacted Customs and Immigration to make an appointment. The next morning and right on time, they were onboard Long Windid, professionally and politely went about their business. A stark contrast to the previous stops we had endured along the way. Boy, it's great to be back in the United States! The trip took 29 days and 21 hours to sail over 3,984 nautical miles.
I couldn't have asked for a better crew. "Thank you" to both Steve and Nick for their patience and effort to get us all home safely. It certainly was a memorable adventure.
Long Windid is now safely secured at the Ko Olina Marina in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. Marla and I are in Florida until September 6th. We are looking forward to returning to Hawaii where we will continue on with our travels in the Hawaiian Islands.


Comments