Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09 April 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
09 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa

Our Willful Economic Blind Side

27 October 2016 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Kimball Corson
The problem is acute. Even liberals quash discussion of it and, like our media, hide these problem statistically in grossly misleading averages. These are not largely questions of economic judgment and focused emphasis. They are core overlooked or deliberately slighted issues that are hammering us. We just cannot come to grips with these issues. The media and body politic are suppressed and only sense these issues but not their economic implications, including stymied growth and an economy that only serves the top end and its paid minions,

Unlike others, many of whom follow every market twitch and their predictions and think that is the US economy, I am personally stuck on the following taboo issues which I think are our core problems:

1) income hoarding by the rich and super rich -- that is, money in the form of income removed from the flow against goods and services in commerce, and the resulting liquidity trap we are in (with an extreme preference for asset liquidity above all by the rich and super rich -- precluding much current real investment and consumption), with its consequences for the Fed and our secondary financial markets -- an unconscious hijacking of the economy by the rich and super rich, a problem only possible with excessive income inequality. Our new "lower low" results with stagnant growth.

2) hugely excessive income and wealth inequality and its consequences for many Americans and our damaged economy referenced above (partly described above), and

3) the dessimation of the core of our middle class with 90 plus million Americans now not in the labor force and middle class wealth substantially destroyed due to too many homes lost in recent years, many by banking frauds (e.g., foreclosures by non- title holders). Many in the middle class have sunk into the lower class. But if we kept track of the middle class by people's names and with their financial statements from the 1990s, we would see the disaster that has happened.

So how bad is the hoarding problem?. Those hoarding huge sums are corporations and the rich and wealthy who control them. The top 50 U.S. companies hold $1.4 trillion just in cash. Total corporate hoarding of cash is estimated to be 2.5 trillion and that doesn't include near cash or personal hoarding by the rich and wealthy. Much of the increase in the stock and bond secondary markets is their hoarding plus cash saved in banks, a small portion of which gets loaned out for real investment but later, with delays. Just world billionaires are hoarding $1.7 trillion and that is just in cash only and the US has over half of them. Total mostly cash hoarding is on par I suspect with total QE and open market operations toward the same end probably about $5 trillion mostly in cash for the same period and much more if we include much of the increases in stock and bond secondary market prices as near cash. People don't understand the scope of the problem.

Clearly mega bucks are involved, but most think just cash can be hoarded and that is not true. What is hoarded of current income is that which is not spent on current consumption and current real investment and those hoards build up over time as part of accumulated wealth so I suspect my educated guesses are mostly for just cash recently. Value that can be quickly liquidated to cash should be included as well and would more than triple these figures.

Because so few understand Keynes, as I have explained him, useful data are not gathered. One way, however, of estimating current hoarding would be to go the other way and do an econometric estimate of the following sum: national income - current consumption - current real investment - net exports or Y - C - I - NE. Work for some enterprising economist..

The silence and silencing on these points of discussion in the media, including in the social media, in the political area and in America somewhat generally, as well of course in public policy discussions is I think is an outrage. Many affirmatively work to cover up and deemphasize these problems in order to deny them. They are the handmaidens of the status quo and the oligarchy.

Our income and wealth inequality is known and is massive and out of control, The top 10 percent of Americans get almost 50 % of all national income and now have almost 75% of all wealth in the country. The top 1% get 22% of all national income, double the 11% that the bottom 50% of all income recipients get. Only the rich and wealthy can afford to hoard income and that is a mega problem tightly connected to problem 1) above.

As a nation, we are politically and emotionally unable to face, much less address these problems. We are being schooled in denial and taught to do nothing by the controlled system in which we live. We have no policies or remedies at present and and so are consigned to be a less than happy nation and to our new "lower low" of growth, all relative of course were we would be but for these problems. A point deniers simply refuse to understand.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altaira
Vessel Make/Model: A Fair Weather Mariner 39 is a fast (PHRF 132), heavily ballasted (43%), high-aspect (6:1), stiff, comfortable, offshore performance cruiser by Bob Perry that goes to wind well (30 deg w/ good headway) and is also good up and down the Beaufort scale.
Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
Crew: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
About:
Kimball Corson: I am a 75 year old solo sailor, by choice. However, I did take on a personable, but high maintenance female kitten, now a full grown cat, named KiKiPoo when she is sweet, or KatKatPo after she has just killed something like a bird or bat. [...]
Extra:
Although I was a lawyer and practiced law with good success for thirty years, creating significant new law, I never really believed in the law, the politics of law or in the over reaching self-interest of most lawyers I met. Too much exposure to Nietzsche and other good and seriously thoughtful [...]
Altaira's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ