The Easy Health Care Solution
11 March 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
The peregrinations we go through with Obamacare and the current republican replacement effort create unsustainable messes that still leave many uninsured and without health care and for what? To protect the overhead and profits of the now very few, but big health insurance companies left in that industry, in recognition their political clout. It makes no sense. We should instead make Medicare available to all with the following reforms:
1) Allow Medicare to negotiate with the pharmaceutical industry over drug prices;
2) Regulate healthcare providers as public utilities because as Kenneth Arrow proved years ago competition cannot work in the healthcare industry;
3) Make the Medicare FICA withholding tax apply progressively to all incomes at adequate rates;
4) Adopt good healthcare preventative policies with required regular check-ups and eating and life-style corrections;
5) Curb medical malpractice to only cases of gross negligence; and
6) Require that medical schools expand to double their enrollments with initial federal assistance, to reduce doctor's jacked up salaries.
These changes would fix healthcare for everyone and do so simply. Healthcare in these United States would cost about half of what it does now. Why not?