THOR

12 August 2013
11 August 2012
11 August 2012
03 August 2012
30 July 2012
29 March 2012
26 February 2012
20 January 2012 | Satun
03 January 2012
09 December 2011
08 December 2011
04 December 2011
01 December 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011

PENANG 24 Nov

04 December 2011
Have you ever heard of jelly fish a meter long? Well that is the size of the things I saw in these waters, so many nasty jelly fish. It was a nice 70m dash to Penang and the first thing I notice was the new billion dollar bridge been built here. It reaches from the mainland 13 km to the island, this is the 2nd bridge as the other one just north of it gets to congested with traffic all the time, it seems peak hour is 24 hrs. here.
My original thoughts of this place was that it would be a smallish town just like the rest of Malaysia, but what a shock! The city looks like Singapore, it goes and goes, on and on.
This is the 2nd last rally stop and we all were treated to a Penang tour, well so we thought. We only saw a shipyard and a war museum, but this museum is the only open air one in Malaysia. It featured tunnels, large guns and the old buildings in which they lived and worked in. its the first was museum I have liked. Then to finish the quick tour was dinner at a nice restaurant.

We didn't stay long here as the anchorage had over a knot current through it and the holding was a bit iffy, we dragged twice as we were setting the pic.
You know the more north we go the more expensive the taxis are eg: in Port Dickson a km drive to town costs 10 MR ($3), in Penang a 2 km drive to a shopping mall costs 15MR ($5). figure that.

Since arriving in Malay and changing the pre-paid internet sim card over to Maxis we have had problems. The thing wont work, the computer doesn't like it, then to top it all off we brought an extra 3.5g for 60MR ($20), only to be told that you cant use it until this stupid 1 month contract runs out. Then we kissed our money goodbye when we went to activate it and it wasn't there!!!!!! another 90MR later and another 1 month contract and it finally works (fingers crossed).
So hence why this blog and contact with family is always delayed.

You know we talk a lot about prices and so on, well this been our first Asian trip we are amazed how a country so close to ours, eat and do the same things as us can live so cheaply. Food - another 1 weeks worth only $12 and dinner say Chinese $2 and that's not just eating fried rice, its a full meal seafood a little more, maybe $4-$6 including drinks.
Just some examples for you all - washing powder 1 kg @ $1, a can of soft drink .70c, clean & clear face wash -$2, liquid soap the same for 1lt.
For transport to hire a motorbike or scooter for a full day $5.
I think when we go back to Perth for a few months it is going to be a shock and I don't think we will be eating out much.
Our next destination is Langkawi, a duty free island, our new home. Now we will see what duty does to prices.
Comments
Vessel Name: THOR
Vessel Make/Model: Schionning wilderness 1620
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Richard Fiddes Captain, Michelle Fiddes 1st Mate, Holly the dog Mascot
About:
Richard and Michelle have been together for 13yrs and Thor is their second catamaran the first being a Jensen 32 Built in 1996 by Andy Jensen. [...]
Extra:
THOR was launched in August 2007 in Fremantle after a 3yr build BY contract builders. She is a slightly modified Schionning Wilderness design, the modifications included a continued roof line thru to the rear of the cockpit to give a more streamlined look and to make it easier to fit all round [...]

Who: Richard Fiddes Captain, Michelle Fiddes 1st Mate, Holly the dog Mascot
Port: Fremantle