THOR

12 August 2013
11 August 2012
11 August 2012
03 August 2012
30 July 2012
29 March 2012
26 February 2012
20 January 2012 | Satun
03 January 2012
09 December 2011
08 December 2011
04 December 2011
01 December 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011
14 November 2011

LANGKAWI- 27 Nov

08 December 2011
Malaysian weather is described as magical, light winds, sunny days just perfect...... if your not sailing. To sail with the filling the sails, whizzing through your hair, ah in tune with nature, what more can a sailor wish for..... well we wished and wished everyday, if it wasn't calm to 5 kts it was blowing 40-50 with a tropical storm heading straight at you, luckily we were in marinas when this happened but not everyone was.
The stories of yachts been dis-masted, sails blowing out does happen. The storms have very little or no warning at all.
Anyway, most of our trip up this beautiful coast line has been motor-sailing (luckily diesel is so cheap). The winds are mostly up to 10 kts variable, which for the 70m legs can take all day. To put full sail up has been very rare and once its up, its not long until it has to come down again, so why bother. We have been very fortunate with the storms, we usually just make it into a marina or have set the anchor and sit till it passes, then have dinner.
In this part of the world the oceans are full of fishing boats with very long nets (sea depth up to 60 mts), trawlers and of course the local rubbish tip and morgue, so night sailing is not at all recommended, those who have done over-nighters have paid the price usually props full of net, engines full of weed etc. etc. a costly exercise.

From Penang to Langkawi Island is 65 ml or a full day if no wind. We started the engines, set at 2500rpm giving us 6- 6.5 knots, but soon as the current picks up Zroom...
its was a usual beautiful sunny day and I'm happily sitting on the front seat (until a very bloated cow floats by). To our shock the wind picks up from the S/E @ 13+ kts, we wait, wait is it going to last? Yes, other boats ahead turn into the wind, up goes their sails. We give it only a moments thought to do the same.
THOR looks so good with full sail and he loves the motion of the wind, he picks up speed 9 -10 kts now were talking. We sail so very comfortably for the next 6 hrs as we dodge the nets. Then as quickly as it came the wind dies and goes variable again, oh well it was good while it lasted.

We have just sailed into a tropical paradise, all the travel shows we have watched about Langkawi doesn't do it justice. We anchor at the bottom of a mountainous range, surrounds by unspoilt jungle. We arrived at 4pm just in time for a quick dip. The next morning we up anchor early to motor through the magical islands to reach our next stop, as were going around this peaceful place we are suddenly in the middle of a tourist hotspot. Jet skis racing around, speed boats full of tourist play chicken with us, oh hell I hope this doesn't last. Just around the next corner and past the cruise ship terminal we are blown away with I would say the gold coast but on a smaller scale
Richard decides this will be a nice place to set the pic and about 4 other boats are here as well. After my quick swim due to my fear of been stung to death by jelly fish

About 6pm and our stomachs start protesting for food we go ashore. Its just like the usual tourist place, lots of restaurants and souvenir shops that sell all the same crap but its nice to eat out again as we love the local food. We anchored here two nights, just as well I thought another heavy drinking night and jets skis I couldn't handle again.
Telaga marina, our new home is only 10 or so miles away, can't wait. The marina is a nice place it has KFC and restaurants. We decided to hire a motorbike long term at only $3 au a day, bargain as most hire places ask for $10. This is a beautiful island full of rainforests, waterfalls, monkeys (some of which live across from the marina).
We are located 30 minutes away from Kuah the captain city, but close to all the tourist activities such as the Cable Car - the worlds steepest, horse riding and beaches.
For beer lovers- a carton of beer is only $9.00 and a litre of vodka only $13. One of the good thing about been so close to Thailand, is its only a quick ferry ride away and if your staying less than 30 days you only need to take your passport.

Been in a marina long term again means we only sail on weekends and that's after sightseeing. Oh I'm going to miss the long days at sea and all the friends we have met on the way. But watch this space for updates.................
Comments
Vessel Name: THOR
Vessel Make/Model: Schionning wilderness 1620
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Richard Fiddes Captain, Michelle Fiddes 1st Mate, Holly the dog Mascot
About:
Richard and Michelle have been together for 13yrs and Thor is their second catamaran the first being a Jensen 32 Built in 1996 by Andy Jensen. [...]
Extra:
THOR was launched in August 2007 in Fremantle after a 3yr build BY contract builders. She is a slightly modified Schionning Wilderness design, the modifications included a continued roof line thru to the rear of the cockpit to give a more streamlined look and to make it easier to fit all round [...]

Who: Richard Fiddes Captain, Michelle Fiddes 1st Mate, Holly the dog Mascot
Port: Fremantle