Tide Head

Vessel Name: TIDE HEAD
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46
Hailing Port: Corpus Christi, Texas
Crew: Dirk de Haan, Susan E. Barclay, Peter Blunden & Fred Guptill
28 July 2011 | Onboard TIDE HEAD
27 July 2011
23 July 2011
Recent Blog Posts
29 July 2011

Almost to OBAN, SCOTLAND

After heading to bed at 0400 I was able to sleep in until 1030; I woke up in time for my 0800 watcha nd could hear the sounds of breakfast and lots of chatter - no one called out for my assistnace so I buried my head for another 2 hours of well needed rest. We have no wind to speak of and are motor-sailing [...]

28 July 2011 | Onboard TIDE HEAD

Transatlantic Day TEN

Day NINE we continued to make steady progress but in a slower lollygagging manner, seemingly pottering about here in the Atlantic with no purpose or direction - indeed we do have a direction but this bobbing to and fro feels less producitve for sure (lollygagging is what you did as a child - or were [...]

27 July 2011

Transatlantic Day NINE

Day EIGHT started delicioiusly with a toasted bagel/egg-ham-cheese & tomato breakfast sandwich accompanied by a cup of fresh coffee, compliments of Peter - Marge, we're glad you gave him up for a couple of weeks! Our day was largly lazy with calm rolling seas and lots of reading & chit chat. The Hydrovane [...]

Transatlantic Day NINE

27 July 2011
Susan
Day EIGHT started delicioiusly with a toasted bagel/egg-ham-cheese & tomato breakfast sandwich accompanied by a cup of fresh coffee, compliments of Peter - Marge, we're glad you gave him up for a couple of weeks! Our day was largly lazy with calm rolling seas and lots of reading & chit chat. The Hydrovane had a workout by Fred & Dirk. According to the charts we have approximately a mere 540nm to go. 540 to go - really, that's all?? We enjoyed the morning's highlight - a tern's attempt to land atop the mast; imagine Tide Head pitching back and forth while rising and falling at least 10 feet and moving forward at 7.5 knots while a bird keeps pace with the top of the mast - there were a few times we thought he would land and probably would have if the wind indicator had held still. By 2100 UTC (9pm) Tide Head was again escorted by dolphins, exiting and cutting through our bow wave and briefly coming along-side for a look / we find these Atlantic Dolphins quite shy in comparison to others. At 2200, leaving my watch partner tethered safely in the cockpit I came below to make a log entry and sitting at the Nav Station in the dark & quiet, hearing a healthy snore come from the front of the boat echoed by a louder snore from the rear cabin, in the secure warmth and comfort while Tide Head was confidently heading towards Oban at 7-8 knots, I realized after a few minutes I was not writing anything, but just sitting transfixed in the moment, mind you with a little giggle in regards to the snoring, and in total appreciation for the offerings of that instant. To say being in the middle of the Atlantic and experiencing these feelings "is priceless" would not do the moment justice. Melancholy is already seeping in around the edges.. I'm not saying I'm not thankful for a brisk and safe passage thus far; however at this great pace the adventure with all its incomparable little moments will soon be over. Day NINE - today, I get to have an extra couple of hours sleep as the guys are so nicely handling the 30 knot gusts they don't need my help, but I miss out on their brunch of warmed chili & Fred's chicken stir fry from last night. As good as that all sounds I forego the feast in favor of sleep. There is some sun peeking through the cloud cover in short clips and we've tacked headed towards the Shetland Islands but are still making good easting. Tide Head continues to "represent" taking all the Atlantic has given her so far without issue; of course we treat her kindly in return, reefing as we should, monitoring all her lines and systems. The Superwind has proved to be a good investment as it continues pumping a continuous supply of free energy into our batteries, and although not as necessary, but certainly as appreciated - the diesel heater is a "keeper". Current update from the Captain is that we have approximately 460 nm remaining until we enter the Firth of Lorn.... All the best to everyone - Cheers!
Comments
Current Position
TIDE HEAD's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

About & Links

Favorite Links
No Links Added Yet