Carried Away

29 April 2015 | Simpson Bay Lagoon
16 April 2015 | Cruz Bay
13 April 2015 | St Thomas
11 April 2015
10 April 2015 | Dewey
07 April 2015 | PR
01 April 2015 | Salinas, PR
24 March 2015 | Ponce Yaucht Club
18 March 2015 | PR
13 March 2015
09 March 2015 | DR
20 February 2015
16 February 2015
14 February 2015
13 February 2015
12 February 2015
28 January 2015
26 January 2015

Luperon

13 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
Great/Stan
It was motorsail overnighter from Big Sand Cay to Luperion(of course). You could smell the nice earthy smells coming way out to sea. Arrived before daylight so had to wait to see entrance between mountains. So different, mountains that really screw up your depth perception. Coming in like coming into a jungle river which I guess it was except it is salt water.

Got in and was intercepted by Papo who led me to a bouy (only $2/night and he had DR flags at $10). Dingied to the dock and walked to customs. A long 4 stop process for a total on about $96. It's Spanish here and a good thing most of them speak some English.

It's true culture shock here, first of all you have to find a bank and ATM to get pesos. Exchange rate was 38.1/1 us. Walking down the street everything is in Spanish. The meat markets have whole pigs heads for sale on the sidewalk. Vendors dive along in trucks and you can get local tomatoes, bananas, pineapples & etc.

Met a lot of a lot of expatriots who now live here. The livings is very simple and cheap. Even Bru Van Sant who wrote 'Passages South' lives here. Got to ride in the country with a lady who wanted me to meet her sister's American boyfriend. Super fine people and enjoyed their hospitality. Jamie and Charo are their names. The ladies cooked a fine lunch while Jamie (Lobo) and I talked. What a wealth of info he was.

Marianna and a friend of hers brought a vegetable over to the boat on my last day there and prepared lunch. Whatever the veg was it tasted just like mashed potatoes only orange in color.

kWould like to come back one day and tour the whole interior. A very beautiful place.

Well six boats leaving to go down the coast and do the Mona Passage to Puerto Rico.
Comments
Vessel Name: Carried Away
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 432 (Moorings 1989)
Hailing Port: Pensacola, FL
Crew: Stan Carver and Ruby Scarbough
Home Page: carriedaway

sv Carried Away

Who: Stan Carver and Ruby Scarbough
Port: Pensacola, FL