Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

That Sinking Feeling

26 October 2015
Final tidy up, quick coffee in the pub while we get our last caffeine and wifi hit then catch the 1pm bridge opening.

The owners of the dock we've been on for the last month turned out on their balcony to wave us off.

However, we weren't going far. As forecast, the wind was on the nose. Due to veer north between 4pm and 8pm we picked up a mooring just the other side of the bridge them hopped into bed to bank some sleep.

After 90 minutes kip, we came to and got the show on the road dropping the mooring and heading out for 380 miles of chilly sailing south to Norfolk.

The good news was the wind had moved while we snoozed so the engine was killed and we sailed off out onto Long Island Sound and beyond into the wild and grey Atlantic.

A grey day gave way to a light grey night lit from dusk till dawn by the full moon arcing overhead, overnight.

I took the first watch going below about 11pm. We were storming along in 20-22 knots on the beam, one reef, full Genoa and staysail.

When I got up a couple of hours later, when I rolled my leaden legs off the port sea berth, mid saloon I thought, "Oh oh. That squelch was either because I've got leprosy or we're sinking".

Don't panic. Don't panic.

We've had an occasional small leak in the hatch but drips. Not bucket loads which I next discovered had soaked the starboard cushions. Getting closer to the source I opened the gas locker where I'd asked the yard to renew and re-route the gas pipe. Sure enough, water was dripping from the mostly sealed holes where the electrics and pipe exited. But just dripping.

Underneath however was a different story. It was like a tap running.

Island Packet build some nice boats but, like their chainplate design, the gas bottle locker ideas are totally crackers. The designer, for reasons that elude frustrated owners, built the locker as a large two bottle locker on the side deck.

While it's a good use of space he chose to allow this locker to also act as a scupper. Consequently, when the spray is flying and green water is coming down the deck half the ocean empties off the deck through the locker usually running over the solenoid, which is why I had it moved and out the exit pipe.

The yard had told us they had replaced the drain pipe (if it ain't broke, don't fix it?) so my first thought was that they hadn't opened the sea cock.

Dash on deck, open the locker lid and empty the contents onto the cockpit floor. Big locker. Loads of crap including two empty gas bottles. Finally reaching the sea cocks buried under all this gear I realise I'm looking in the wrong place. Aaaaaarrgh.

Down below at the right place I realise this through hull pipe doesn't have a sea cock.

Meanwhile, gas bottle jams under wheel and we crash gybe.

"Oh darn" I said, or something like that.

Anne reloads, well, just chucked back in all the crap while I head onto the wildly rolling deck to have a look to see what's stopping the water running away.

I open the locker lid and nearly get my forehead clunked by two gas cylinders shooting to the surface like the barrels in Jaws.

Looking down, I can hardly believe what I'm seeing. The locker is full and overflowing. The electrics and solenoid are under water and the tanks are bobbing about like ducks in a pond.

Something has obviously blocked the outlet pipe. What I need is my wire drain unblocker which I last saw as we loaded the boat contents into the U-haul.

Repeating, several times, the empty the saloon lockers routine while kneeling on the soaking carpet yielded no reamer. Again and again I emptied and filled the damn lockers, each time the locker getting mysteriously smaller as again and again, another box failed to fit.

Giving up the search it was the stuff a wire coat hanger down the hole routine. All, while hove to, post crash gybe in the dark with waves trying to get down my neck.

Whatever the blockage was (is) it wasn't for taking a swim. No amount of prodding, twisting or cursing would clear it. In the end I just baled it out with a cup, tidied up what we could, towels spread around to soak up the flood, three dozen, round the world packs of foods, cereals, rice, pasta etc... now rendered anonymous generic grey plastic bags of, "Oo Wonder what we'll get for dinner tonight". Tubs of porridge turned into small melodians. So finally, after about an hour and a half we gybed back and off we went.

Next day's trauma? The genoa halyard I'd spent an hour freezing and cramping while up the mast trying to re-run it, obviously incorrectly, parted, chafed through st the masthead sheave. Fortunately, I heard it go and got the sail furled before the it hit the drink. Which is what I may well do!
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013