Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

Think Tahiti

25 June 2016
One thing about this cruising life is that, generally speaking, it is more fun and exciting to do than to read about. That's why most blogs are, like this one, simply a diary so that when the aspiring author is old(er) and more decrepit, he or she can relive the experience from the comforts of their favourite armchair, whether that's located in their sun lounge or a vinyl seat in the semi circle of their new Silver Sunsets Retirement Home.

So, how do you make this interesting to the reader when there's actually not that much happening.

A cynics eye view? Not appreciated by my Blog producer. Some drama? Problem is, it seldom happens. Loads of shiny pictures? Our point-and-click skills just don't cut it.

So, I'm going to try "visualisation".

Tahiti. Close your eyes and think, "Tahiti". Keep them closed (but how can I read on you ask. Buggered if I know) Anyway, with your eyes closed perhaps you can picture a long golden beach stretching off into a distant hazy yet deep blue horizon. The mystical island of Bali Hai in the background, simply drop dead gorgeous girls dressed only in grass skirts are doing a hula hula dance, hips gently swaying in time with the palm fronds above, or, for lady readers; tattooed and oiled warriors, muscles rippling while they welcome you with a performance of their war dance.

Got it?

Right. Now open your eyes and yes, that's actually what we had last night. Well, it's what Anne had last night.

It's the annual Tahiti - Moorea Regatta and some seventy boats are gathered for the event coming from all over the oceans to congregate here for the big event of the year. Equal numbers have stayed away having as much desire for a mobbed party where the compulsory attire is to have a flower arrangement around their necks as clearing a blocked toilet while going to windward in twenty knots.

For us through, it's a bit of civilisation after a few months on the empty ocean and the one road and a few shacks island villages.

We are docked in the new Papeete Marina. No longer do yachties have to drop anchor and swim a stern line ashore. There's a fancy new marina with showers, a wifi lounge, water and power. Just a shame it's still 25 yards from four lanes of traffic dashing form one end of town to the other. However, it's nice to be able to step onto a pontoon and walk ashore and go to the shops or to go for a run. Which is what I did day before yesterday. I was quite getting into this new search for fitness when, post run I was doing the stretching thing and, from the intense pain, seem to have squished a disc and plugged the nerves of my lower back into a local 440kva transformer. I can't stand, sit or laugh. Only swallow drugs, mostly legal, drink Drambuie, that's my self determined holistic remedy, and lie down feeling pathetic while the hula dancers carry on without me and the seventy strong fleet sails off over the horizon leaving us here to listen to the sounds of passing traffic.

Consequently, we've not seen much of Tahiti so far. Pretty much just the distance I ran from the boat so, for a few days at least , we'll just have to keep your eyes closed and think, "Tahiti".
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013