Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

Another MURDUR!!!!

02 October 2016
There been ANOTHER murdur!

Well, nearly. The guy on the catamaran right next to us runs his on deck, Honda generator all day every day. He fired it up at 07:00 this morning and little does he know it but he nearly joined Vava'u's murder statistics.

It's the start of the Vava'u Blue Water Rally week here so consequently the bay is full of yotties all honing their boats and bodies for the last trip to head south out the cyclone zone before mid - end November. Anything to keep the insurance valid.

As part of the honing our bodies element an exercise and nutrition programme has been developed by the sponsors. Firstly, for the exercise element, one needs to row ashore, largely as ones Suzuki outboard is kaput, and for the nutritional part of the programme, indulge in the unlimited bacon, egg, tomatoes and toast in the morning with Happy Hours every night.

Tonga is one of the two options for jumping off to New Zealand. The other being Fiji. The challenge is that the weather patterns that roar and scream along the underside of Australia in the 40's and 50's latitudes respectively, bend north across New Zealand right into your path thus making getting south a bit of a pain. The key apparently is reading and interpreting the weather files accurately and getting the weather window spot on so that's now the new religion; checking in daily to see what's coming from above and below the horizon. Either that or we'll just follow Trevor and Jan who know what they're doing. (Come back soon guys!).

Anne has gone for the spiritual option joining a few other cruisers to visit yesterdays Sunday service, or Sing-Alonga-Tonga as it might also be known. I stayed behind to slap on some more varnish and these guys could really pump out the volume. In the end I had to just sit back and enjoy the sounds......for a couple of minutes, then I whacked on Meatloaf on my iPod. Much more to my liking.

Anyway, back to the Rally. Other than the social events we've had the New Zealand bio-police here giving us a talk on what we can and can't bring into the country. Fortunately, if it's in a tin you're OK and that's our style and indeed expertise as far as cooking is concerned. The marina operators are touting for business and offering helpful advice on their location and wide range of repair services so you can take your ocean battered boat and equally battered wallet and leave them to it.

Vava'u is filling up with familiar faces, cruisers we've met along the way, either in anchorages, boozers or like all good Silver Surfers, in the virtual world via the daily Nets. It's quite the reunion for all those who've conversed on the daily Nets and bumped into and socialised with each other for the last 9 months or more.

It could be a hard week.
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013