Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

Pass Revoked

20 April 2018 | Kristiane Well Reefed
Did you ever see the HBO Mini-Series, Band of Brother?

There's this guy, Lieutenant Sobel, a petty tyrant who torments his trainees during inspections with "chicken shit" nit picking. "PASS REVOKED!!" he screams at a soldier after spotting an imaginary piece of fluff.

Tas Maritime was our Lieutenant Sobel as we waited for a weather window to get us back to mainland Australia across the notorious Bass Strait. Each morning we'd struggle and fight our way out from under the duvets and tune into Tas Maritime. And every day, "North to northwest twenty five to thirty. Forty later. Seas, three to four metres."

Time Bandit! PASS REVOKED.

We didn't waste our time though. There was a tidy little marina at Triabunna. Gary the Harbour Master said he could squeeze us in but only for two nights. A week or more later as contrary winds blew, every second day we pleaded for just another couple of nights. And so, while it blew we enjoyed full on electric, hot running water, a pub with a colour tele showing how well Australia was doing in the Commonwealth Games and, when the sun was out, long walks, hand in hand from one end of the peninsula to the other. Hand in hand, not because we're so deeply in love but just to keep Anne out the coffee shops.

Finally a window looked like opening, and anyway, Gary needed to chuck us out, so we headed out to Wineglass Bay, the last stepping stone before leaving to await the coming breeze.

And it was another case of "Huv ye no looked oot the windae?"

Forecast: 20 to 30 south to south west.

Actual: make sure yer hat's tied on really tight, fresh pants and hang on.

Windy! Jings. It blew like stink. It was blowing thirty before we got the anchor up at seven o'clock. On the whole, that was fine in the lee of the island. Kristiane who we'd been cruising with were ahead broaching in every gust. We just did our normal. Heeled over a bit and powered on. Offshore a few hours later it was a bit breezy and big, big breaking waves made things a bit exciting. We just stormed along, surfing down the big rollers or getting a good drenching when we hit one side on. For most of the crossing we looked like the Pope Mobile in a car wash as we'd left the "clears" up. And didn't they serve us well. Two reefs in the main, genoa half furled, occasional staysail but full on plastics, bulging into the cockpit like a balloon about to burst in the gusts. Good to forty five knots! And we stayed dry.

Door to door over the three hundred or so miles we averaged 7.7 knots. And we deserved that average. Genoa in. Genoa out. Pole up, pole down. Reef in, reef out. We weren't just sittin' aboot in the Popemobile, such was the motivation to avoid another night at sea in these big scary waves. We made Eden just after midnight. A quick Pussers Rum to soothe the nerves and back for another fight with the duvet.

Wake to calm and sunshine. Ashore for lunch at noon. Beers at one. Massage at three.

Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013