Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

Dr Blanc I Presume…

20 January 2022
Stuart Letton
"How on Earth can you carry enough clothes on your bike for ten days? For two of you?" Asked my brother incredulously.

"You don't" I replied. You use the HRM."

"The what?"

"The Host Recoil Measure. You just wear the same clothes every day until the host at your next B&B opens the door and visibly recoils - while at the same time silently thanking the Covid regulations that dictate they wear a mask at all times."

We can't exactly remember whether our host at the stunning Linda se Dop guest house offered or we asked for laundry services but I'm guessing we hit a new record on the HRM scale. You see, it's got quite hot. And we've been out a few days.

Linda's place is in Nieuwoudtville, on the very top of the escarpment, a part of which includes Table Mountain. It's lofty position ensures a cool 32c, a welcome drop from the 40c of the plateau below which we just crossed and which it must be said contributed to the unprecedented HRM reading.

Our sweaty arrival in the town
marks our exit from the Western Cape and entry to the Northern Cape.......... of South Africa if you've just joined or not been paying attention.

What with the heat and my sore back we were glad to get here. A few weeks ago I knackered my back. Despite this, we'd set off for the Northern Cape and got almost 2 hours away from Cape Town before the pain got too great, even for me, someone that can really bear intense pain, without complaint.

Nonetheless, it seemed smarter to head back than press on so we turned around and headed back to Cape Town and spent another few hundred quid on a chiropractor. One whose speciality was causing more intense pain by sticking long needles in my bum. A bit "out there" for a sceptic like me but it seemed to do the trick. It certainly takes your mind off your sore back.

The good news was that the voodoo doll treatment seemed to work so a few days ago we boldly set off to retrace our steps north and restart our northern trip again from Saldanha Bay and Paternoster.

Unfortunately a dodgy back and motor cycling aren't great bedfellows and by the time we got to the luxurious Paternoster Manor I was somewhat uncomfortable and in dire need of more needling, deep-tissue massage or copious quantities of Sauvignon Blanc.

However, John, the manager and a top level kayaker is a convert to the art of "rolling" and while that's appropriate for a kayaker, in this context it's rolling around your sore bits on a rubber covered plastic tube until your eyes water. Again, it seemed to help so after two days of rolling recovery we boldly set off northwards into the wild. Or perhaps, the veld.

Nothing but miles and miles of scrubby desert and a rock and gravel road shaking our fillings loose. It was a shortcut to our lunch stop at Vredendal. A shortcut that was half the distance but three times as slow.

Sustained by lunch at the first air conditioned wine cellar we could find, murder isn't it, we set off into the desert for the last leg over the blistering hot plateau and up the escarpment to Linda's.

So, while the washing gets done, it's time for some R&R beside the pool and in the absence of needles or a masseuse, Doctor Sauvignon Blanc is on the case.


Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013