A Timeless Odyssey

Allures 45 (a thing of great practical beauty)

Baltic B-log Day 7 and 8

Well we've now been 'at sea' for a week and a day! Luckily we're not 'all at sea' and our life on board is organised and flowing nicely from one day to the next, dictated by weather, and basic needs.
The one thing I have not needed to worry about too much is exercise....it happens automatically! I'm feeling suitably worked out right now from .....well....sailing! Besides a run I had on our day off last Tuesday, and a little cycle into Brestkens, (more about that later), I've done nothing!
However, try standing, walking, cooking, pulling ropes, packing fenders away etc all on a floor which either rocks and rolls through an arc of -40 to +40 degrees! It's the best core exercise you can get! Gym owners? A new form of exercise?

So we have so far travelled 320 nM which is almost 600 km in 6 sailing days! That was 53 hrs of sailing! While I'm writing this, Martyn is fiddling with the SSB radio and we are listening to Radio China International on 14 MHz and drinking coffee! Nice coffee from our new baby Nespresso machine. Yay, the joys of life on board!

Okay....day 7 and 8: yesterday saw us leaving our berth at Brestkens, our first stop in The Netherlands, at 7.30 in the morning and mainly beating into a northerly wind against the current for 12 hrs to reach Scheveningen, from where Den Haag (The Hague) is a short tram ride. Why did we do this? Well the wind was supposed not to have backed yet, so it should have been a more comfortable reach (wind behind us) but that's sailing for you!
Now for a relaxing day off with household chores thrown in! Life at sea....not bad!


Comments