A Timeless Odyssey

Allures 45 (a thing of great practical beauty)

Vee's Version on reaching Germany

So we reached Germany last night. We have been sailing north of the Frisian Islands and turning South (left) to get to harbours which are on the south of the islands in the protected Waddezee. Between these islands and north of the mainland the seas are very shallow so wind against tide and going with the outgoing tide are a serious consideration in onshore winds. The waves break if windy, as they do on a beach which makes for uncomfortable if not dangerous sailing! Throw in worrying about daylight hours and sails and not unintentionally gybing the boat when in a narrow channel... Like I almost did yesterday!.. And you have mentally challenging sailing conditions! Oh! AND we are short-handed at the moment with just two of us!
So we are both quite pleased that this stage is nearly over. In fact we are going to sail out tomorrow to Helgoland and then across to Cuxhaven the next day which means two bigger jumps but avoids the above!
Today.... A well-deserved day off, cycling around the island of Borkum. It's great being in Germany as I'm slightly more familiar with German but wifi is VERY hard to find! Germany should take a lesson from what is offered in that score in The Netherlands!


Comments