Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

Why can’t they spell Crete C-r-e-p-e?

11 April 2010 | Eastern tip of Crete - Ak Sidheros
Peter
We finally made it to Crete, but what a price to pay! That first 53 nm day from Lindos to Karpathos in 25-35k and 12-15' seas really took its toll on the crew. We were all so tired.

We left Karpathos and when we turned the corner on the lee of the island we were greeted with another 20-25k and big seas. These weren't as big or as bad as the day before, but after the day before these were not the conditions we were looking forward to. Fortunately it was only a 30 nm trip to Kasos. After about an hour and a half of getting beat up in the sea and wind, we made it into the lee of Kasos and things settled down. But it was quite gusty in the lee, so we still had that to deal with.

Will and I had agreed to go for an anchorage at the south end of the island rather than one at the north end. The new one looked better protected from the northerly and it was a bit closer to our destination the next day. But we weren't sure of water depths and with the dramatic cliffs of the island coming down to the sea, we could just imagine anchoring in 300' of water one boat length from the shore!

As it was, we got very lucky indeed. Not only was the anchorage very protected with a good bottom, but the scenery was simply incredible. We are posting some of the pictures of Kasos. The rock formations and caves and such are simply incredible - a testament to God's power and art!

I woke up early the next morning (like I usually do) and pulled the anchor up myself. Of course, that woke Ruth up. Off we went. I was thinking that with 53 nm to go to our destination on Crete that we might be able to make it all in one day, and I wanted to get an early start and give it a chance. Well, as luck would (finally) have it, we didn't have to fight a strong wind or rough sea. In fact, the wind got so light that we ended up having to turn the motor on. At the same time, I gave up on my idea of making Ayos Nicholaos (our destination for the haul out), and instead we headed for a well-protected anchorage on the eastern tip of Crete.

We came into the anchorage and were impressed with the sea wall and quay that had been built. It looked to us like there was some kind of mining operation or something going on. We decided to try Med-tying to the quay since there were no other boats around to hit and we need the practice. As we got in position we saw a guy running out onto the quay with another right behind him. Apparently we had woken them from their nap or interrupted their backgammon game cuz they emphatically told us in Greek "no parking"! It then dawned on me that this might not be a commercial operation but a military operation! But rather than "go to guns" like Tom Cruise did in Top Gun, and create an international scene, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. I mean, after all, since we don't really have any guns then 'going to guns' wouldn't be all that effective, now would it? And I have had enough 'international scenes' on this trip that I didn't need another!!

So off we trotted and found another anchorage in the next bay around the corner. As I write this, the northerly that was forecast has turned into an easterly. So much for forecasts!! But it will help us as we are headed west. We have another 30 nm to our destination, and none too soon.

After getting pounded the first couple of days, Ruth came down sick last night. The girl held out and held on, but the wear and tear finally took its toll. She got the "achies" in the legs last night and I doubt she will be good for anything today. So Will and I will limp into Ayos Nicholaos today and try to nurse her back to health.

The title of this blog is just a play on words. I think of crepes as being soft and easy food. This voyage to Crete has been anything but soft and easy!
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA