Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

The wild night at anchor

06 August 2010 | Isole Giglio
Peter
Last night when a front moved through all the boats in the area scattered for protection. We ducked into a small anchorage. (The chart says it is illegal to anchor here but everyone does, so I dunno what is up with that). We came in with about 4 other boats, all looking for a spot from the storm. This front had 25+ winds. We set the hook (I.e. reserve our spot), then reset it again when some of the bedlam died away.

But it was getting too rolly, so we threw out a stern anchor and winched our stern around so our bows were into the onshore swell. That helped Joyce and Alexandria (and the rest of us!) with the comfort. But then as night fell the boats started swinging...except us! Finally around 2230 one of the French boats hailed us with a horn and searchlight. I jumped out of bed, which wasn't all that big of a deal because I had been jumping out of bed every 10-15 min. to check on our position relative to other boats in the crowded anchorage. By this time the situation had gotten a little more 'dramatic' --we were in a full-on rain/lightning/thunder storm. After some Franco-English exchange at a raised decibel level, I brought the stern rode forward which effectively released our stern anchor. Now we had 2 bow anchors. But we also swung 'in tempo' with the other 4 boats.

One of the boats, a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42, had chosen to go deep into the cove and throw a stern line to shore. Well, around 2300 I popped my head out of the gangway. Alllll the boats had their cabin lights on. No one was getting any sleep!! And, the Jeanneau had a search light on and was pretty busy doing something. About 15 min. later I figured out what that was. They must have lost their shore line or something because they were in the middle of raising their anchor and went right into the power boat! It was 'all hands on deck' as the two crews tried their best to fend the boats off each other. It was really quite exciting, and I was glad it wasn't me (this time)!

After that things calmed down (including the weather). The Jeanneau eventually left the anchorage in search of more favorable terms. We finally got some sleep, but it was still not a very restful night.

In the morning I taxied Michael, Joyce and Alexandria ashore and asked the marinaras in the porto if we could fill up with water at the public quay. They said we could, but too hurry up cuz a ferry would be coming. I hopped back in the dinghy and for the first time the dinghy would not start! To this moment I do not know why. It works fine now. The only thing I can figure is I must have flooded it (although I tried starting it the way I usually do). Anyway, that left me frantically rowing back to the boat. (Thank God I got the oarlocks fixed!).

After the tiring row, Will and I had two anchors to get up which went (surprisingly) without incident. We motored to the quay in the porto, filled up with water, and came back to our anchorage and picked up an even better spot than last night. We have left Michael, Joyce and Alexandria ashore for the day to get their legs back. The weather has calmed, so the anchorage and conditions are more 'normal'. It has been such a bummer cuz from the moment they stepped on the boat we have had some pretty nasty weather. But hopefully now it will be more calm and normal and we can enjoy a nice motor/sail to Isole Elba. It will be uphill, but hopefully with calmer winds and seas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA