Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

The mud baths

15 September 2010 | Espalmador, Formantera
Peter
This beautiful anchorage with protected from everything except a southwesterly swell. The laid moorings make it easy -- no anchoring! And the long, sandy beach is wonderful.

But what makes this spot particularly enticing is the mud baths. About a half kilometer from the beach, along a path, you come across a large pool of water that is muddy and appears to be post-volcanic. There is no sulfur smell, but the water is warm from more than just the sun (I think).

In any case, people flock to the baths to cover themselves in mud and let it dry. Then they run into the sea and wash it all off. I did it twice and it was a neat sensation that left your skin quite smooth. I swear I have lost 20 years in my appearance! :-) But seriously it was quite a lot of fun.

What is interesting is that cuz no one wants to ruin their swimsuits with the mud, the beach is 'swimsuit optional'. I enjoyed this immensely, and not for the reasons you think.

When i was living on a commune up in the Santa Cruz mountains back in the 70s (I'm an ex-hippie!), I had the opportunity to spend an entire summer pretty much naked. The only time I put clothes on was when we needed to leave the land. Initially I was quite self-concious of my 'exposure'. But after a short while I forgot about it and started getting used to walking around with nothing on. It felt quite liberating.

After spending a couple of days at this anchorage, with half the people also naked or half-naked, I have gotten back into being naked at times and it feels great. Americans are all hung up about nudity, so for many of you this will seem particularly wierd. But for Europeans, it is no big deal.

What is also wierd is that the thought of a nude beach conjurs up all sorts of devious thoughts. But for me, seeing a bunch of naked women and men in a natural setting does not trigger any of those hormonal responses. It just seems natural -- not naughty or sexual or anything like it.

Yes, a lot of people still seem self-concious of their nudity -- hesitant to interact. But that may or may not be just the normal cloistered attitude of the 21st century. I really don't know. For me, the mud baths were a neat physical experience as well as a physically and spiritually liberating experience.

And what is really frustrating about this nudity thing is that Congress and Hollywood have decided that it is OK to show gruesome, gory deaths, but it is perverted to show nudity. Maybe if we all made (or saw) a little more love and a little less war we wouldn't be such a murderous society!!

I really didn't expect you to understand!! :-)

Of course, on the second day of mud bathing I discovered one downfall of nudity. Some mud managed to find its way in a -- how shall we say: 'anatomically sensitive area'?!!! So I had to get that all washed up and back to normal. Ouch!!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA