Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

Crossing 2 time zones in one day!

07 October 2010 | Smir, Morocco
Peter
After playing the "Great Time Warp Haul Out Sweepstakes", we deterimined that just down the road 10 nm from Ceuta, Spain to Smir, Morocco was the best place. So after checking out of the La Linea Marina this morning we headed across the channel.

Crossing the Straits of Gibraltar in a sailboat is a bit like playing the old Atari game 'Frogger' with all the freighters coming and going through the Straits. Leaving Gibraltar bay we watched one freighter put the pedal to the metal as he gave us one blast and passed us on our starboard side. (We blasted back, like we are supposed to!) But, wow, could that ship accelerate. Within minutes he was in the teens on speed!

Crossing the Straits we had to wait up to let 2 freighters pass. It is crazy out there -- sorta like crossing I-5 any time of day!

We have arrived in Morocco and checked in. I was surprised that the police didn't want their baksheesh (bribe) of a bottle of whiskey like they did in Tunisia. I bought 2 bottles of cheap whiskey before leaving, so I gotta give them to someone!

But we talked with the lift operator and everything is 'go' for tomorrow on the haul out. I'll spend the week working on the hull -- which after April's haulout better be pretty dang easy or else!! I plan to buff the hull with some Teflon to help the hulls slide through the water for our ARC non-race. (It's not a race, it snot!!) Otherwise the rest of the week will be spent repairing the rudder before we head out on Friday for Chefchaouen, Morocco.

We decided to take a 2-day B&B run inland and check out the place. It might be our only time we get to Morocco! We tried to get a hotel in Tangier, but all the cheap hotels were already booked. So that one doesn't look good at this point unless we can meet someone with a brother in Tangier who owns a hotel, and....you get the picture!
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA