Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

Day 23 -- The End is in sight

11 December 2010 | 102 nm from St. Lucia
Peter
One of Ruth's Floridian friends was reading our blog about the passage. She commented "Why would anyone want to do this?" And let's make no mistake about it. This year's ARC was not a very 'ideal' ARC. The trade winds were late in arriving if, indeed, you can say they ever arrived at all. The early part of the passage was marked with holes dotting the Atlantic. And when the wind did finally fill in, it did so with a vengeance and with a confused sea state that made the ride lumpy and uncomfortable. The soft, 10-15k trade winds with long, rolling seas from behind never really happened this year. So why do this?

First, the accomplishment. Just knowing that you can -- and did -- sail across an ocean is a pretty intoxicating notion. And then there is the growth that comes during the passage. As one friend used to tell me "It's not what you get from it, but what you become through it." Mastering the various challenges that beset every passage maker forges an appreciation for life that is irreplaceable.

There are the obvious reasons. The pod of whales. The numerous pods of dolphins -- many of which would play off the bow wake and show off for you as you hang over the bow pulpit watching them. One pod took great delight in doing corkscrew rolls for us. And seeing dolphins leaping out of the water 3-6 feet is something to behold. There are, of course, the fish. We caught three and enjoyed each of them.

Each mariner has their own list of what 'winds their watch'. For me it is the incredible landscapes -- or should I say seascapes. They call Montana the "big sky" state. But those cowboys haven't been on the ocean! The panoramic vistas are breathtaking -- day after day after day. The sunrises and sunsets go without saying. God gives you a front row seat each and every day to some of the most dramatic play on the horizon at the beginning and end of each day. But even during the middle of the day it is awe-inspiring to watch the cloud formations, how they change, how they move, and how they interact.

But one of the biggest prizes for me is the night time. For instance, tonight I went up to the foredeck for about an hour and a half and just watched the night sky. To be reminded (again and again) how alive this seemingly static space really is. Out in the middle of the ocean there are soooo many shooting stars! They are more fragile than flowers. Their total life span is only a split second. And to capture and share that moment with each one is something very special. Then, to watch the constellations march across the sky with a stoic equanimity is immeasurable. Sure you can do that from your back porch. But first, do you? I didn't think so cuz neither do I when I am at home. And even if I go to the country to watch the night sky, city lights, trees, and a myriad of other objects block my view. In the ocean, hundreds of miles from any towns or trees, the night sky opens up to you like a flower. The multitude of stars and constellations that appear is mind boggling and spiritual.

But the night also brings other treats. In many waters -- including this passage -- you can look in the bow wake of the boat and see small, little phosphorescent lights in the water -- plankton, I believe. These little dots make up their own constellations in the water. Like "stars on the water" as Jimmy Buffet sings. To watch them light up for a few seconds is mesmerizing and hypnotic.

And the night brings solitude -- when you have a chance to collect your thoughts, be with your loved ones in spirit, and meet the one person in our life we rarely get a chance to spend any time with -- ourself!!

That is just a partial list why this crazy fool would risk peril to cross an ocean in a sailing yacht. Others will have their own reasons. But for this captain, The hardships we endure are amply rewarded many times over. Like many life-changing experiences, words simply do not convey the true experience.
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA