Time Warp

19 December 2011 | Seattle, Washington
19 November 2011 | Seattle, WA
28 September 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
05 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
01 August 2011 | Oak Harbor, WA
23 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina, Oak Harbor, WA
18 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
15 July 2011 | Oak Harbor Marina
10 July 2011 | 350 nm off Cape Flattery
07 July 2011 | Somewhere out in the Big Pond
01 July 2011 | 37N; 153W
01 July 2011 | 36N; 155W
28 June 2011 | 29N; 157W
25 June 2011 | Poor Boyz Yacht Club, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu
22 June 2011 | Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2011 | Lahaina, Maui
11 June 2011 | 20.5N; 151W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 148W
11 June 2011 | 18.5N; 144W

Douanes in Martinique

18 February 2011 | Rousseau, Dominica
Peter
We spent an extra day on the east coast of Martinique because Ruth wanted to go to the beach. So after a short row ashore and a short walk over the hill, we surprised ourselves by finding the beach so easily. It was really quite a great day because we spent it together, as a family, just lollygagging on the beach! Ruth got a bit redder than she intended, but other than that and Will being completely bored by his "over the hill" parents he is incarcerated with, the day was quite a success.

We awoke this morning intending to make fast tracks for Dominica. But the douanes had other ideas. 'Douanes' is French for 'customs'!! While the cornbread was in the oven baking we were approached by a hard-bottom RIB with three uniformed men aboard. We have been approached before by customs - in Croatia and Italy. But this was the first time they didn't just want to check our papers but actually come aboard and do an inspection!!

Of course I immediately have 'guilty' emblazoned across my face and body even though I'm as clean as a whistle. It's just me and uniforms. There was an older guy in charge who had 'been there/done that' and mostly enjoyed his job and was just waiting retirement. Then there was the young buck who wanted to make a name for himself while also saving the world. The third member of the party was a black man who was new and learning the ropes.

As they came aboard our boat they asked if we had anything to declare. Declare? I happen to have a LOT to declare....politically!! Was there anything in particular you wanted to talk about?!! Actually, I stammered at the question at which point the young buck asks if I have any drugs I want to declare. Now the good Lord did give me a quick tongue...which usually serves me well. Not this time. Before I could spit out 'aspirin' I heard myself telling the guy "Well, if I did have any drugs aboard, I certainly wouldn't tell you!" At this point I was ready to ask him if my family could and visit me on Thursdays and weekends!!

The two young-uns went down below to check things out and realize that an American-flagged, 45' sloop with a family of three aboard probably wasn't fitting the 'profile' they were looking for. Meanwhile the older guy and I were having a nice chat in the cockpit while he completed his paperwork. While he is doing his duty I asked him if they still get drug runners around here. The young buck pipes up that just 10 days ago they busted a powerboat with - get this - 300 kilos of cocaine!!! Ummm, I guess that makes my 3 liters of rum kind of a non-issue??? Yikes!!

Anyhow, the douanes delayed our departure from Martinique, but not enough so that we couldn't enjoy an absolutely incredible day of sailing. About two hours out we threw the kite up in 15k and just slid on down to Dominica 40 nm later under a blue sky with big, fluffy, white clouds that we would talk about what they looked like. The sea was down to one meter or less and the sailing was nothing short of spectacular. As we approached Dominica we hardened up to a broad reach and in the big, round swells it got REALLY fun!!

We are going to decide tomorrow morning whether to take a tour of the island or not. Dominica is an 'environmental' island and doesn't really court the tourists like the other islands do. Most of the island is a natural wildlife area. With 365 rivers and spectacular waterfalls, I guess there is no shortage of water! The island is quite steep with 8 potentially active volcanoes. It is really quite interesting how each island of the Caribbean is unique and has its own signature.












douane
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Warp
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Peter, Ruth & Will
About:
Seattle-based crew out for 3-4 years. We'll start in the Med in Spring, 2009, visit the Caribbean, Panama Canal, So. Pacific, and eventually end up in Oz. After that? Who knows! Peter is an avid sailor and world-class racer. Ruth is learning to sail, and Will is a very good youth sailor. [...]

Who: Peter, Ruth & Will
Port: Seattle, WA