23 February 2020 | Long Beach, CA
Torben & Judy Bentsen | Nice winter day
Mike showing Judy how to have just one more tequila shot in Ensenada to make sure her birthday the next day would have to start with Tylenol.
The 800 NM Baja Bash – Cabo to San Diego - got completed in 17 memorable days between February 1 – 17. We did get a little spray on deck for about 10 hours total, the rest of the trip was light or calm and COLD. But as we had envisioned, given enough time and patience allow us to go North without getting beat up, so we were pleased with that.
We spend 5 days waiting in Bahia Magdalena, 2 days in Turtle Bay and a couple of days in Ensenada before arriving at San Diego YC last week.
• The whales in Mag Bay
• Some really pretty nights under the stars in flat water, fluorescent’s, plenty of birds, dolphins and whales to keep us entertained.
• A surprise meeting with Katie and Chip – one of 3 boats in the Turtle Bay anchorage. We first met them in 2010 cruising Mexico. This time they were on their new power boat and we had a fun time going to shore and share memories over a beer.
• Seeing parts of Turtle Bay no man has seen before, led by a one armed man, trying to extract some pesos to pay for fuel (delivered ultimately in a panga at the highest cost of our entire cruise, $ 7/gal). My bank card did get shut down after trying to get cash at the 3rd tienda!
• A call from Mike Warren ( sailed on Tivoli from Panama to the Caymans in 2010 ). He wanted to be the first to welcome us back to the vicinity of SF. So, he got up at 2 AM and jumped in his car with steaks, California wine and Judy’s birthday present – an electric heater. 12 hours later he arrived for a night on the town, 2 overnights and a fabulous steak dinner for Judy’s 59th birthday on Tivoli. And then he did the 12 hour drive home……..
• Throwing away all our meats, veggies, eggs and fruit before arriving in San Diego so we could answer truthfully to the questions on the online clearance. We were concerned that our multi country rum collection might be up for scrutiny. As it turned out, they cleared us by email when we were 5 miles from San Diego and we never saw an official.
• An afternoon cocktail and snack at SDYC followed by a visit to a favorite sushi restaurant upon arrival in the US
• A newfound love for working phones, internet, gas at a fixed price and the convenience of a quick shopping trip to Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ikea and Costco.
We enjoyed the hospitality of San Diego YC for a night, 2 nights at Southwestern YC and one night at Oceanside YC, all free. Now in Long Beach before an early morning departure for Santa Barbara. And after that, hopefully a decent weather window to get to Northern California.