The Winter "Indoor" project list?
20 October 2016 | Herrington Harbour South
As with all things that float - the list is long and endless! I choose one major project per season to act as a "goal meter" and give it my primary focus. This winter will be the same focus but double-duty! The focus is interior headliner - the "double-duty" scope of the project includes both the master cabin (aft) and the new enclosed hard top/cockpit (more in musings below). We still have to change the fluids in the Engine, Generator and Transmission (an send out the Oil Analysis Samples); clean the bilges from the summer humidity; re-pickle the water-maker membranes; clean the sails, solar panels and hatch openings; Lubricate all of the port-light seals (before putting up the insulation inserts); clean the magma grill (deep clean) and inventory the spares load.
The Headliner Project: Re-doing our headliner throughout the boat has been a desire for a long time. We've put it off because we knew we needed to add some new (hidden) wiring runs to a few newly completed projects.
- We added electric hatch lifts (at the Admiral's request for an easier solution to opening our heavy lids) - when I added these, I put in a multi-purpose control box at each hatch with 12V power lugs, switches and control servos for the linear actuators. The primary 12V circuit powering all of this was brought in from the main 12V power panel and the wire run is currently "semi-hidden."
- We added 115V spot-lighting (shore power) to illuminate some dark areas in the master cabin like closets and dressing areas (I realized I was choosing brown or blue socks [in the dark] to wear with my black slacks while dressing for work in the morning)...problem solved.
- We added several electronic efficiency devices (cell-signal booster, WiFi signal repeater [in-cabin], AIS Transponder, )...all of which required cabling of some sort that also need hiding!
- We still need to reinforce the davit locks with some beefy plating under the gunnel so that our davits (when raised and locked) are secured firmly and won't pull the locking lugs out of the gunnel (which are only screwed in)...the new arrangement will put 3 x 8 inch plates and thru-bolts below the gunnel for a secure gripping point to hold the new RIB dinghy.
...The new headliner (aft master cabin) - which has holes and stains in it - will complete these semi-finished tasks and we will include a layer of insulation as well as a design that permits us to remove "desired panels" to reach things like chain plates (for inspection), wiring runs, deck fittings (underside) and plumbing.
The Hard Top (part-deux of the headliner project) also needs to "hide" cable and equipment runs. This part of the project will be a bit more challenging as our "contractor" will not finish the inside - we will. Most of the cockpit enclosure trim (interior) will be teak but the headliner will be "paneled" to permit the same access that we desire in the headliner concept below decks and include insulation as well as a "projected" sliding cockpit door that will (hopefully) "retract" into the top (like a garage door) along with viewing windows for sail trim above the helm; electronics re-location so that instruments are visible from the helm and a number of other goodies like speakers, a retractable TV (into the top - if I can get it to fit) and storage pockets for side windows and other sailing do-dads. Again - we are photo-journaling the project so we can share when it is done.
All of the other winter-prep maintenance tasks will no doubt get in the way of finish work for the master cabin and the cockpit top but I am optimistic that we can get it done by winter's end...just in time to haul the boat (MAY) for our bottom job, thru-hull replacement (all of them), hull/deck refinish (block sand/polish below the gunnels and awlgrip above decks) and fly off to Italy for a month to celebrate the Admiral's PhD.
Its gonna be busy this winter!