Cruising Aboard Tobias with Suzie and Kirby

After cruising from Maryland to Nova Scotia to Florida and then on to the Bahamas we returned to Maryland. Our wonderful TOBIAS is for sale and we are living on land in Charleston, SC. WHAT A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE WE HAD!!!

04 August 2007
22 July 2007
28 June 2007 | Deale, MD
28 June 2007
20 June 2007 | Deale, MD
12 June 2007 | Solomon's Island, MD
10 June 2007
04 June 2007
04 June 2007
01 June 2007
01 June 2007
23 May 2007 | Charleston, SC
16 May 2007 | Beaufort, SC
14 May 2007 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
14 May 2007
14 May 2007

Stuck in the Mud and Ghosts

01 November 2006 | Beaufort, NC
Here we are in Beaufort, NC - pronounced Bowfort -- not to be confused with Beaufort, SC - pronounced Be-u-fort or is it the other way around??

We had dolphins swimming around us this morning and I believe it always means good luck. They were just wonderful!

Other than the dolphins the day had been rather uneventful but I didn't want it to end with nothing dramatic so just as we were nearing the marina - I managed to get us really stuck - as in "going aground"! Kirby was setting out the fenders and dock lines and I was at the wheel trying to kill some time going in a circle waiting for the dockmaster to tell us where to take the boat. Well, I didn't know there was a little "bump" of really thick mud on the bottom with only 3 1/2 feet of water!!! Oh, my we got stuck but good and Kirby was so mad and I wanted to cry - but I didn't. I called the harbormaster and said, yes, I got us stuck and could you please bring a tender out and pull us off. It took quite a bit of pulling as the keel and the rudder were in alot of muck but finally he got us off and. He thought it was real funny when I told him that it was Kirby's fault because if he had been driving it wouldn't have happened! (See, the dolphins did bring us good luck or we would have had to spend the night on my bump!)

We quickly recovered, got hot showeres and went to explore Beaufort. There wasn't much there at all. I was surprised. There was a very nice Maritine Museum but the best part was the cemetary. I tried to get some pictures but as it was dark by then my pictures didn't come out very good. We had a quick dinner and beer at the Royal James Cafe, walked lots of streets and then got a taxi back across the bridge to the boat. We will head out late tomorrow for somewhere more south-er.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Freedom 35 - TOBIAS is named for a creek in the Sierras where we camped many times, Suzie proposed to Kirby and then spent our honeymoon. We love both the boat TOBIAS and the creek TOBIAS!
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC but we are really from Southern California
Crew: Suzie and Kirby Townsend
Extra:
We are actually from Southern California and sold our last sailboat in Mexico. We decided to go east to purchase our next boat so we traveled to Maryland where we found Tobias. We spent the winter of 2006 living aboard and preparing Tobias to go cruising. In May we departed and headed north. We [...]

Suzie and Kirby

Who: Suzie and Kirby Townsend
Port: Charleston, SC but we are really from Southern California
Thank you for visiting our Blog! Come back often.