Cruising Aboard Tobias with Suzie and Kirby

After cruising from Maryland to Nova Scotia to Florida and then on to the Bahamas we returned to Maryland. Our wonderful TOBIAS is for sale and we are living on land in Charleston, SC. WHAT A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE WE HAD!!!

04 August 2007
22 July 2007
28 June 2007 | Deale, MD
28 June 2007
20 June 2007 | Deale, MD
12 June 2007 | Solomon's Island, MD
10 June 2007
04 June 2007
04 June 2007
01 June 2007
01 June 2007
23 May 2007 | Charleston, SC
16 May 2007 | Beaufort, SC
14 May 2007 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
14 May 2007
14 May 2007

Arrived in Bimini!!

09 January 2007 | Bimini, Bahamas
Suzie
It was 4:00 am when we departed No Name Harbor, FL for Bimini Island. The moon was waning but still very bright and the stars were visible even with the lights of Miami. We sounded our way out of the harbor to find the wind blowing about 15 knots and the seas about 4 feet high. It was bumpy but do-able. We were on our way to the Bahamas!

We had about 4 hours in the dark before the sun came up to warm us. Even so, there were no hats, no gloves and no jackets! We were not very far from Florida when we entered the Gulf Stream which wanted to take us north of our destination so we had to steer south to balance it out.

We had left the anchorage with Rick and Tanya on Auriga and a couple hours later we were joined on the water by Dick and Jane on Cheetah II, and Tom and Terri on Outrageous. While underway, Jane caught a beautiful 20 pound Dorado ( Mahi Mahi) and invited everyone to a fish feast later that evening on their boat. Kirby was dragging a hook too but didn't even get a nibble.

We arrived in Bimini about 3:30 pm (11 � hours) after watching Cheetah II pull Outrageous off a shoal. It is necessary to tie up to a marina when you clear customs so we choose Weeches and were greeted by Kimini who helped us tie the boats up. Weeches is the least expensive in Bimini but just our style - old and funky. I had to stay on the boat while Kirby went to clear us into the Bahamas. That was OK - I just sat and stared at the water. It is SO beautiful! And so clear!

Bimini is not touristy at all. It is full of lovely, friendly people and smiling children. On Sunday all the children had on their Sunday best and I got some cute pictures. The harbor has a couple of spots where they just dump the empty Conch shells after making salads and sandwiches out of the conch. I asked and was told I could take all I want so I will get my souvenir. There is one internet computer which is located at the phone company. We'll go later and I will post this.

Yesterday Kirby donned his mask and snorkel and checked out the bottom of the boat. (Water temp is 80 degrees). All looked good with the prop and the bottom. No growth and no snagged fishing line.

If I have time I will post some pictures to the photo gallery. We are remaining here in Bimini until the weather is better for our 2 day trip to the next stop which remains to be determined.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Freedom 35 - TOBIAS is named for a creek in the Sierras where we camped many times, Suzie proposed to Kirby and then spent our honeymoon. We love both the boat TOBIAS and the creek TOBIAS!
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC but we are really from Southern California
Crew: Suzie and Kirby Townsend
Extra:
We are actually from Southern California and sold our last sailboat in Mexico. We decided to go east to purchase our next boat so we traveled to Maryland where we found Tobias. We spent the winter of 2006 living aboard and preparing Tobias to go cruising. In May we departed and headed north. We [...]

Suzie and Kirby

Who: Suzie and Kirby Townsend
Port: Charleston, SC but we are really from Southern California
Thank you for visiting our Blog! Come back often.