Cruising to Greece and back.

After sailing back from Greece to Portishead, in October 2019 Tobin Bronze was transported back to Wadswick for a major re-fit. In July 2022, TB was re-launched into Portishead Marina.

Vessel Name: Tobin Bronze
Vessel Make/Model: 35ft cold moulded plywood sloop
Hailing Port: Bristol
Crew: Peter and Judy Ward
About:
Launched in 1985. After one year sailing in the Bristol Channel, TB has been sailed for 22,500 plus miles by Peter, Judy, Charlotte, Ben and Sofie - firstly based in Dartmouth and then in South Brittany. [...]
24 October 2019 | Portishead Entrance Lock
08 June 2019
27 November 2018
30 June 2018
18 November 2017
03 July 2016 | Agmar Marine Boatyard. Partheni, Island of Leros
30 October 2015
01 October 2014 | Kilada to Orei
25 November 2013
19 July 2013
26 June 2013 | Koilada
01 December 2012
01 November 2012 | Koilada
29 September 2011

Dodecanese Islands - Spring 2017

21 June 2017
Judy and I arrived back at Leros airport at 08:15hrs on Wed 10 May 2017. We had a three and a half hour wait at Athens for the small commuter plane to Leros. A long wait but we enjoyed the views of various islands on the one hour flight to Leros. The boatyard had arranged for a hire car to be waiting for us. But first, we had to take the delivery driver to Alinda to collect something and then on to Lakki town where we dropped him off. We then drove back to Alinda where we were staying!

The Sayara Resort at Alinda was getting ready for the summer season and I suspect that we were one of the first, if not the first, guests of the season. But it is a family run business and they could not have been more friendly or more helpful. There are some nice photos in this year's photo album.

Sayara Resort, Alinda.
Sayara Resort, Alinda..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

We stayed in the Resort for the first three days while I finished various jobs on the boat and moved on-board in the boat yard on Saturday 13th. In the evenings we used the car to visit various places (and tavernas) on the island.

On Monday 15th May, Tobin Bronze was back into the water by 09:20hrs. After tying up to one of the yard's moorings for a couple of hours while we bent on the sails, we motored down to Lakki marina in the town. The weather was lovely and warm - 27deg C in the cabin.

We relaxed around the marina and then in the bay at Partheni for a few days. There were plenty of jobs to do on the boat; so we did do some work. The wind was quite strong at times, gusting in excess of 25knots.

Kevin and Lesley G-J arrived on the flight from Athens at 08:20hrs on Sat 20 May.

Leros Airport.
Leros Airport.

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

They were immediately greeted with winds gusting 28kts. As it was too windy to sail anywhere, we took a taxi up to the Kastro, which dominates the island and had an interesting tour of the museum there.

Kastro, Leros.
Kastro, Leros..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

We trudged down all the steps back to sea level and retired to a taverna in Agia Marina for lunch.

Steps to Kastro.
Steps to Kastro..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

We set off from the Agmar Marine quay at Partheni at 09:15hrs next morning, heading north to Lipsos. The harbour there was pretty crowded with sailboats, most of them in a regatta from Kos. However there was still room for us on the quay. Lipsos is a pretty little port and the bakery on the other side of the harbour made some of the best bread we have encountered for a long time.

Lipsos Harbour.
Lipsos Harbour..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

That night we went to a taverna at the end of the quay but it was pretty mediocre.

Monday morning brought some thunder from 04:00hrs and it started raining at 07:00hrs. It didn't rain for long and stopped at 07:30hrs. The wind picked up again and was blowing 17kts from the north at 09:00hrs. As this was directly on the port beam of boats on the quay, the Bavaria 38 to windward of us dragged its anchor and leaned on us. We then dragged our anchor; so everyone decided it was time to leave.

It only took us a couple of hours to sail for a bit and then motor across to Patmos where we went stern to on Skala Quay. The weather was clearing even though the wind was quite fresh. The forecast predicted 30 knot winds but we didn't see anything over 20 knots.

Skala, Patmos.
Skala Patmos..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

The next morning Judy, Kevin and Lesley visited the Monastery of St John, Kevin went for a bike ride, Judy went for a swim and Peter painted the cockpit. It was a toss-up as to who had the most fun! That evening we had a good meal on the veranda of the taverna around the corner towards the town square. It has a great view across the harbour. Kevin spotted Gillian Anderson, the American actress, on one of the other tables and Judy tried busting in on her while she was sitting on the loo. Jude's excuse was that the door latch was broken!

Judy swimming.
Judy swimming in Patmos..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

The next island we visited was Levitha, population 4 people. They farm the island, raise goats, catch their own fish and run the taverna. Guess what is on the menu. Not surprisingly, chicken, goat and fish - all locally produced!

During the five hour trip to Levitha, we tried sailing - even having the spinnaker up for a short while! We arrived in the anchorage to pick up the last available of the twelve moorings there. That evening the four of us enjoyed a meal of freshly caught fish (including wine) for the princely sum of 56 Euros

After leaving the anchorage next morning we motored back to Lakki Marina. We were moored stern to on the quay by 12:00hrs.

War memorial, Lakki.
War memorial, Lakki..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

The next morning we sailed up the coast to Partheni to be near the airport and had a quiet night alongside the quay at Agmar Marine. The flight next morning for Judy, Kevin and Lesley was delayed for 2 hours because of thunderstorms around the Aegean. They were a bit lucky getting back to London as this was the day where BA's computers crashed and fights world wide were delayed or cancelled. They arrived home 3 hours late.

Flight delayed.
Flight delayed..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

For the next 3 days, I remained at anchor in Partheni Bay - working on my maintenance list. One of these days, I will actually reduce this work list!

On Saturday, 31 May, John Q. and Roger E. arrived at 08:45hrs on the flight from Athens. Once onboard, we cast off and motored for about 3 hours to Patmos. No wind, of course. While the lads visited the wonderful monastery of St John the Devine, I provisioned up, found the supermarket who could re-fill the gas bottle and topped up the water tank.

In the late afternoon, we motored out of Skala Harbour and around the corner to the very nice anchorage in Ormos Grikou.

After a peaceful night, we motored south (no wind, again) to the island of Amorgos. While technically in the Cyclades Islands group, Amorgos is one of the chain of islands which link the Cyclades and the Dodecaneses. It is a bit off the beaten track but is a spectacular island with the landscape covered with ancient terraces where it must have been once cultivated.

North east Amorgos.
North east Amorgos..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

We anchored the first night off the small town in Ormos Ayios Annas and the second night off the beach at Katapola which is further west along the coast. Both of these towns are worthy places to visit.

On Sunday 04 June at 08:00hrs, with the church bells ringing, we followed the Small Cyclades Ferry out of the bay and headed east to Levitha Island. Once again - no wind. Auto-pilot on, no other boats around, flat seas, sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Departing from Amorgos.
Departing from Amorgos..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

By mid-afternoon, we had picked up one of the mooring is the sheltered bay at Levitha. This is one of my favourite stopping places. By evening all 12 moorings were occupied but we were still able to enjoy the meal of fresh fish in the taverna at the farm house.

Boats at Levitha.
Boats at Levitha..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

We headed back to Leros the next morning. After stopping for lunch at the only taverna on Archangelos Island, we motored around the north side of Leros and picked up a buoy at Alinda, which is a beautiful bay with panoramic views across the water to Agia Marina and the Kastro on the hill overlooking the town.

Alinda Bay & Agia Marina.
Alinda Bay & Agia Marina..

Click here for link to larger image in PhotoAlbum Spring 2017.

It was at 15:20hrs, Tuesday June 6th, when we dropped the mooring at Alinda and motored back around the north of the island to Archangelos Bay. We anchored in 6.0 metres of water in the south side of the bay which really isn't the best place to anchor as it is hard sand. We had a run ashore in the evening to the family run taverna there.

Early next morning we motored for 20 minutes across to the Agmar Marine slip at Partheni. John and Roger were flying back to Athens on the same flight that Judy was arriving on. They waved to each other across the airport.

Jude and I spent a couple of nights on the quay at Lakki Marina waiting for Bob and Tricia to arrive on the fast cat ferry from Rhodos. This ferry puts into Agia Marina; so they hired a taxi from the port.

The weather was pretty windy with strong winds in excess of 25 knots forecast for the next few days. On Saturday, Bob and Tricia caught the ferry to Patmos for a couple of nights. It would have been a slog for us to sail into the northerly wind to get there. They arrived back at lunchtime on Monday. We then sailed the 20 or so miles to Levitha. All the moorings were occupied when we arrived at 17:30hrs but we were able to anchor just outside the moorings.

The next couple of days were spent at Kalymnos town and at Emborios Bay before returning to Archangelos Island on Thursday June 15 to be near the airport. Jude flew out to Athens next morning while we returned to Lakki town.

Bob and Tricia caught the fast cat ferry to Samos on Saturday. I stayed in Lakki on Saturday night before sailing back to Partheni Bay in preparation for lifting out on Monday morning.

I did all sorts of exciting things like changing the engine oil, cleaning the water filter, cleaning the bilges, doing the washing and having the water heater serviced by Agmar Marine.

In 6 weeks, we had sailed 335 miles but had used the engine for 65 hours.

I left the boat on Wednesday 21 June and flew back to Heathrow.
Comments
Tobin Bronze's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Tobin Bronze going out in the 1967 Melbourne Cup.
 
1
A relaxed summer in the Bristol Channel.
11 Photos
Created 15 January 2023
A 34 year old Tobin Bronze was badly in need of an extended boat yard visit to undergo some serious maintenance.
10 Photos
Created 31 October 2022
Last leg along west coast of France, across the Channel, around Lands End and into the Bristol Channel
18 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
Last leg in the Med.
12 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
From Bonefacio up the west coast to Calvi
12 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
From Cagliari up the west coast to Strait of Bonifacio
15 Photos
Created 22 June 2021
Ragusa to Trapani including road trip to Mt Etna
46 Photos
Created 19 June 2021
Malta to Sicily May 2019
11 Photos
Created 15 May 2019
Leros to Malta. 30 Aug to 25 Sep 2018.
39 Photos
Created 19 November 2018
22 May to 19 June 2018
30 Photos
Created 29 July 2018
Sept 2017. Dodecanese Islands
20 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
Dodecanese Islands
23 Photos
Created 24 June 2017
Cruising from Orei. Evia to Leros in the Dodcanese in May, June
18 Photos
Created 30 October 2016
Launch from Orei, sail north to Thessaloniki, around the Khalkidhiki paninsula and Mt Athos to Nea Peramos.
17 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2014
Re-launch in Kilada to Orei, Evia in early July
16 Photos
Created 22 July 2014
13 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
A late summer cruise to the northern Cyclades
18 Photos
Created 20 January 2014
Cruise to Crete
11 Photos
Created 19 July 2013
Visits to Koilada May & june 2013
11 Photos
Created 9 June 2013
From Kalamata to the Argolic Gulf in July 2012
57 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
From Messolonghi to Kalamata May 2012
45 Photos
Created 10 January 2013
Italy to Zakinthos and Messolonghi
15 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Lipari, Vulcano and Stromboli - three of the Aeolian Islands
30 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sardinia and Sicily Sept 2011
19 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sailing from Cartagena to Sardinia
24 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sailing TB from Faro to Cartagena in June and July 2011
64 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Sailing on John's boat 'Derby Lass'
20 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
Delivery trip with Woody from Vigo to Lisbon when John Q. met us. Then to Ohao where Judy replaced John for a trip up the Guardina River.
41 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
June - July in the Rias Baixas, Galicia
26 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
Six days on the "Dunmow Flitch" between Braunston and Market Harborough in April 2010.
26 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
Lay up for winter in Cangas
17 Photos
Created 27 October 2009
Newport R.I.,Cuttyhunk Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket
48 Photos
Created 17 September 2009
Highlights of the trip from Viveiro to Ria de Vigo.
34 Photos
Created 2 August 2009
Hugh pod of dolphins encountered 10:30hrs 04 June at approx 44º24'N; 006º32'W
18 Photos
Created 23 June 2009
Between 02 June and 04 June 2009 from La Roche Bernard to Ribadeo in Galicia, Spain
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 June 2009
Port de Foleux is about 15 miles up the Villaine River, 6 miles upstream from La Roche Bernard
4 Photos
Created 18 June 2009