Cruising to Greece and back.

After sailing back from Greece to Portishead, in October 2019 Tobin Bronze was transported back to Wadswick for a major re-fit. In July 2022, TB was re-launched into Portishead Marina.

Vessel Name: Tobin Bronze
Vessel Make/Model: 35ft cold moulded plywood sloop
Hailing Port: Bristol
Crew: Peter and Judy Ward
About:
Launched in 1985. After one year sailing in the Bristol Channel, TB has been sailed for 22,500 plus miles by Peter, Judy, Charlotte, Ben and Sofie - firstly based in Dartmouth and then in South Brittany. [...]
24 October 2019 | Portishead Entrance Lock
08 June 2019
27 November 2018
30 June 2018
18 November 2017
03 July 2016 | Agmar Marine Boatyard. Partheni, Island of Leros
30 October 2015
01 October 2014 | Kilada to Orei
25 November 2013
19 July 2013
26 June 2013 | Koilada
01 December 2012
01 November 2012 | Koilada
29 September 2011

Corsica west coast & French coast to Herault River

09 July 2019
Peter Ward
Click here for link to relevant PhotpAlbum Corsica. View from town overlooking harbour at Cargese.

On 02 July, we crossed into French waters and entered Bonifacio, the spectacular harbour in Corsica. There were some serious charter boats in the harbour. Skyfall -available for only 289,00€ + expenses per week = 340,000€/week. Denis and Norm checked their pocket money and elected to stay with Tobin Bronze. For a marina fee of 65€, we had a nice berth on the end of pontoon J, only 50 metres from the noisy disco which played head banger music until 02:00hrs. (I am getting old!).

Bonifacio harbour
Bonifacio harbour.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Corsica .'

Finding the bright lights and swank of Bonifacio too much for Tobin Bronze, we shoved off next morning, sailed for a while and then ended up motoring to Porto Pollo. After spending the night on a mooring of the quiet beach, we motored for over 6 hours to the harbour at Cargese. The town with its twin churches overlooks the harbour and is a lovely location. It is definitely Italian alpha male territory. We were impressed with an 8m run-about that had 3 Yahama 425 XTO (V8 450HP 5.6l each) outboards on the back.

Runabout in Cargese harbour
In Cargese harbour.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Corsica .'

In the morning, Norm and I sweated our way up the hill to the town to stock up from the supermarket. The town is perched on a hill top and has panoramic 360 deg views. After topping up with water, we set sail out of the marina and continued north.

Cargese
Road down from town.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Corsica .'

After an overnight stop anchored in Cala De Tuara, we rounded the castle at Calvi and anchored off the long beach east of the town. In the early part of the night, the wind was quite gusty but died away towards dawn. This allowed us to hear even more clearly the loud music emitting for the discos along the beach. The music eventually stopped around 04:00hrs.

Cala  de Taura
Beach at Cala de Taura.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Corsica .'

Late Sunday morning, Calvi Marina gave us clearance to move inside into a berth. The facilities in the marina are good even if the ladies in the office gave the impression of being very bored with life. The old part of Calvi is lively and interesting but the newer part around towards the beach is hot and dusty. Unfortunately, for peace seeking sailors, early July is not the best time to be in Calvi. There was a music festival in full swing and the music goes on till late and is very loud.

Calvi Fort
Calvi fort.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Corsica .'

As the wind overnight in the marina was gusting to over 30 knots and was forecast to continue next day, we decide to stay a couple of nights.

Tuesday 09 July started hot and calm after the strong overnight winds. We topped up water and departed the marina at 11:10hrs. We managed to sail during the afternoon on a course of 285° towards Ile du Levante, over 100 Nm away on the French coast. Towards evening the wind dropped and we then motored overnight towards Ile du Levante. Denis wrote in the log "02:00 SOG 5.2kts COG 285° 2250rpm Cap Camaret Lt in sight. Loom of Ile du Levante. Moist with heavy dew. Light wind. Slight sea. Quite a few ships."

Bu 08:00hrs on Wednesday we were moored up to a buoy in Port Cress, Ile du Levante. Only 3 of the 40 moorings were unoccupied. There are only a couple of restaurant ashore - very much a national park. We treated ourselves to an expensive lunch in one of the restaurants and then elected to have dinner onboard.

Port Cress
Quay in Port Cress, Ile de Levante.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Calvi to La Rochelle. .'

We had originally planned to stay a couple of days on Ile du Levante but the forecast next morning warned of a strong westerly airflow commencing Friday; so we made the decision to go immediately to Ile du Frioul near Marseille. For 10 hours we motored to the west and reached Ile du Frioul by 18:00hrs. This is a big harbour with lots of room for yachts. We moored stern to on the west side using the laid mooring for the bow.

Isla du Friou
Marina at Isla du Friou, near Marseille.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Calvi to La Rochelle. .'

The westerly wind did blow all day Friday and Saturday at Force 5-6 but the shelter under the high wall on the causeway behind was very good. During Saturday, we observe gusts reaching 30kts across the harbour. There is not much on rocky Ile du Frioul with lots of day trippers coming across from Marseille. We had a couple of relaxing days enjoying the sunshine.

Sunday 14 July. We departed Ile du Frioul at 06:10hrs in cooler conditions and not much wind. In the first hour we saw 3 big cruise ships heading into Marseille. Initially, we motor sailed to the west before furling the sails after lunch and then it was motor on for the rest of the day. At 18:30 we entered the west entrance of Sete harbour and found a berth on pontoon G in the Vieux Basin, Sete. As it was Bastille Day, we were entertained with an impressive fireworks display along the sea front.

Marina at Sete
Modern marina at Sete.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Calvi to La Rochelle. .'

Sete has a network of canals and is known as the Venice of Languedoc and is the eastern entrance of the Canal du Midi. We even took a ride on the "Noddy train" to take in the sights.

Marina at Sete
Modern marina at Sete.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Calvi to La Rochelle. .'

On Tuesday morning we motored in clear sunny conditions for 4 hours and entered the Herault River and the Alemand Boatyard to arrange road transport to La Rochelle. Next morning, Denis and Norm went off by taxi at 07:00 to the train station at Gare d'Agde. Their plane back to Brisbane was scheduled to leave Milan on Friday afternoon.

As my road transporter was not booked until the following Wednesday, I went back to the marina at Cap d'Agde as there is nowhere to moor or anchor in the Herault River. Cap d'Agde is very much a purpose built modern development for French holiday makers. Not the most exciting place to visit.

On Tuesday, I motored back to the Alemande Boatyard where we removed the mast and laid the solar panel frame across the cockpit. At 08:45 next morning, the Altead boat transported rolled in the yard and TB was lifted on the trailer. The transporter left under police escort at around eleven. The escort is necessary as to get out of the village, they have to initially go the wrong way up a one way street.

Bye to the Med
Good-bye to the Med.
Click here for link to an enlarged image in the Photo Album 'Calvi to La Rochelle. .'

We had sailed 1140 Nm from Malta.

I left at 11:30 to go by train to La Rochelle on the efficient French railway system.
Comments
Tobin Bronze's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Tobin Bronze going out in the 1967 Melbourne Cup.
 
1
A relaxed summer in the Bristol Channel.
11 Photos
Created 15 January 2023
A 34 year old Tobin Bronze was badly in need of an extended boat yard visit to undergo some serious maintenance.
10 Photos
Created 31 October 2022
Last leg along west coast of France, across the Channel, around Lands End and into the Bristol Channel
18 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
Last leg in the Med.
12 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
From Bonefacio up the west coast to Calvi
12 Photos
Created 23 June 2021
From Cagliari up the west coast to Strait of Bonifacio
15 Photos
Created 22 June 2021
Ragusa to Trapani including road trip to Mt Etna
46 Photos
Created 19 June 2021
Malta to Sicily May 2019
11 Photos
Created 15 May 2019
Leros to Malta. 30 Aug to 25 Sep 2018.
39 Photos
Created 19 November 2018
22 May to 19 June 2018
30 Photos
Created 29 July 2018
Sept 2017. Dodecanese Islands
20 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
Dodecanese Islands
23 Photos
Created 24 June 2017
Cruising from Orei. Evia to Leros in the Dodcanese in May, June
18 Photos
Created 30 October 2016
Launch from Orei, sail north to Thessaloniki, around the Khalkidhiki paninsula and Mt Athos to Nea Peramos.
17 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2014
Re-launch in Kilada to Orei, Evia in early July
16 Photos
Created 22 July 2014
13 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
A late summer cruise to the northern Cyclades
18 Photos
Created 20 January 2014
Cruise to Crete
11 Photos
Created 19 July 2013
Visits to Koilada May & june 2013
11 Photos
Created 9 June 2013
From Kalamata to the Argolic Gulf in July 2012
57 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
From Messolonghi to Kalamata May 2012
45 Photos
Created 10 January 2013
Italy to Zakinthos and Messolonghi
15 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Lipari, Vulcano and Stromboli - three of the Aeolian Islands
30 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sardinia and Sicily Sept 2011
19 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sailing from Cartagena to Sardinia
24 Photos
Created 24 November 2011
Sailing TB from Faro to Cartagena in June and July 2011
64 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Sailing on John's boat 'Derby Lass'
20 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
Delivery trip with Woody from Vigo to Lisbon when John Q. met us. Then to Ohao where Judy replaced John for a trip up the Guardina River.
41 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
June - July in the Rias Baixas, Galicia
26 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
Six days on the "Dunmow Flitch" between Braunston and Market Harborough in April 2010.
26 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
Lay up for winter in Cangas
17 Photos
Created 27 October 2009
Newport R.I.,Cuttyhunk Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket
48 Photos
Created 17 September 2009
Highlights of the trip from Viveiro to Ria de Vigo.
34 Photos
Created 2 August 2009
Hugh pod of dolphins encountered 10:30hrs 04 June at approx 44º24'N; 006º32'W
18 Photos
Created 23 June 2009
Between 02 June and 04 June 2009 from La Roche Bernard to Ribadeo in Galicia, Spain
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 June 2009
Port de Foleux is about 15 miles up the Villaine River, 6 miles upstream from La Roche Bernard
4 Photos
Created 18 June 2009