24 May 2013
17 May 2013
11 May 2013
10 May 2013
09 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
01 May 2013
22 April 2013
16 April 2013
16 April 2013
15 April 2013
05 April 2013
19 March 2013
06 March 2013

The way to Cutty

13 June 2012
Our intention this weekend was to head to Newport on Friday night and then head on to Cuttyhunk on Saturday, returning on Sunday...

Bad day at work can sometimes mess with the schedule and Laurie's day was particularly poor. We therefore decided to stay on the dock at NEB and drown her sorrows instead! I decided to have a go at equalizing the batteries again - so set them to it as we went to bed. Laurie started reading her new book...

Laurie didn't sleep well - I wasn't aware of why at the time - b I didn't sleep well either. I was up at 3:00am and decided to check the batteries and seeing that the voltage was only 14V (instead of 15+V), decided to abandon the equalization. Something's amiss. Even though I went back to sleep, I was up again shortly after 5:00 - Laurie was awake too - so we decided to have an early start to the day...

With little wind forecast until the afternoon, we pottered around the boat for a while - or I should say, I did - which I was quite happy to do. I managed to get the bad dingy gas dumped and replaced it with new. I fiddle-farted with all sorts of stuff - while Laurie read her book.

At 9:15 we finally left the dock and headed down the bay to Newport. Laurie read her book.

Knowing there was going to be light wind from behind, we'd decided to keep the main under it's cover with a plan to sail the spinnaker once the wind developed. Out past Newport, after sailing through the start of a regatta, the wind finally kicked up to 7 or 8 knots, so I managed to pry Laurie's nose out of her book in order to launch said spinnaker.

We then had a great sail towards Cutty (sort-of), making about 6kts. Since Laurie's head was buried elsewhere, I decided to set up a fishing rod...

Wouldn't you know it, I managed to hook a fish - only my third in about 1,000 miles of trawling the bloody thing! It was going to be big judging by the effort I was having reeling it in. Meanwhile, all hell broke loose as I barked orders at Laurie - get the camera! No not that lens! Why can't you learn how to change a lens! Get the net! Chaos! Eventually I reeled in a whopper (my biggest catch anyway) and landed it on the side deck, with Laurie clicking away merrily.

I couldn't get the hook out. Despite her pleas to have me cut the lure I insisted I'd get it - "bring me some rum so I can quiet this bloody thing!" She brought out a bottle which unfortunately turned out to be Black Grouse Scotch (a favorite tipple of mine) - which I didn't notice until I'd poured a cupful into the hapless fish's gills. I thought I was going to be calming the fish down so I could extract the hook and release it - but no, I killed it! What a way to go!

We then had to call Laurie's brother Neal to find out what we'd caught - and after sending a photo, found we had a Blue. Edible but notoriously oily. However, having killed the beast, we were duty bound to consume it, so another call to Neal gave me perfect instructions for a -nearly- bloodless filleting method. I managed to get about 2lbs of meat off this thing - no doubt leaving much more on the carcass than I should have - but this would be enough for appetizers with the crews of Elixir and Jamin that would be waiting for us in Cutty.

All this was going on while we were still under spinnaker! Still doing 5 - 6 kts in almost the right direction.

Laurie went back to her book - I went back to tweaking the sail...

Once we got to the Buzzards Bay tower we had to change course - too deep to fly the kite, so we furled and motored towards Cutty. Just before we got to Middle Ground, the wind picked up, so we flew the Code Zero for the final couple of miles... arriving in Cutty at around 5:00pm and anchored in the inner harbor in 12 ft on 65ft of chain.

A glass of wine was in order! Laurie read her book.

Jamin called to coordinate dinner plans - and we discussed the cooking of the beast. We headed over to Jamin shortly after 6 and met up with Peter and Diane of Elixir, Jane and Mike of Jamin and enjoyed libations in the cockpit.

Finally I get to find out that The Book is a particularly erotic novel involving all sorts of interesting hardware(?) - and quickly a line sets up for whose going to read it next!

A festive evening follows with some participating a little more than they should (as tends to happen when one reads too much and sleeps too little). The morning would be painful!

Vessel Name: Toodle-oo!
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Bill and Laurie Balme
About: New to sailing in 2004. Determined to circumnavigate some day!
Extra: We bought our first boat - a 30ft S2 -in 2004 and upgraded the following year to our Crealock 37 – a 'real' Blue Water boat. 2011 brings our final boat - an Outbound 44 - hull #27.
Toodle-oo!'s Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 2 July 2012
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
Airshow and stuff...
18 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
Great Weekend
17 Photos
Created 11 June 2012
Menemsha with Mike and Jane aboard Jamin
16 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2011
Collected photos through 2011
27 Photos
Created 10 August 2011
15 Photos
Created 15 June 2011
3 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
Peter Sterrett, Mike Eslinger, Laurie and I on our way north.
20 Photos
Created 18 April 2011

Who: Bill and Laurie Balme
Port: Newport, RI