25 March 2020 | Bristol
As we are not allowed to go sailing and are stuck at home, I thought it might be an idea to give a breakdown for anyone interested in the work that has been carried out on Topaz Rival during the refit and in preparation for adventures abroad.
1. Hull. Full osmosis treatment for hull and rudder. This is the "HotVac" system and all done under temperature and humidity control. Finished with Coppercoat antifoul.
2. Engine. Old Bukh 36 replaced with a new Beta 35. We have had two Beta engines before on Lazy Bones (20hp) and Alice in Red (38hp) and they were fantastic. Lots of other bits and pieces replaced as part of the engine upgrade, including a new Brunton's SigmaDrive coupling to go with a service for the Autoprop feathering propeller.
3. Electrics. All shorepower (AC) system overhauled with new battery charger. Four new Rolls AGMs as the new domestic battery bank together with a new engine starting battery. Solar panels, and a Rutland 1200 wind generator installed on a stern gantry which also has room for AIS and GPS aerials. New Furuno radar (viewed on iPads and iPhones), new LED lights on mast complete with rewiring. New USB charging points in cabins and in cockpit (waterproof). New Sony stereo radio with Bluetooth.
4. Electronics. New Raymarine wind and depth transducers and i70 instruments. AIS and wireless NMEA 2000 hub. Standard Horizon 1850 VHF with additional microphone in cockpit. Raymarine EV200 Autopilot installed in addition to old Autohelm (left as a backup).
5. Water and waste. New holding tank fitted with external deck fitting for pump out. New Jabsco toilet and smelly pipes replaced. New pump for salt water in galley.
6. Rigging and sails. Full rig replacement by Allspars as well as new guardwires. Furling gear serviced on main and genoa. Running rigging being upgraded (some done by Allspars, more to come). Existing sails cleaned and repaired with new UV strips and new downwind genoa and new sprayhood ordered from Sanders Sails (delivery when we can get to Lymington)!
7. Deck fittings etc. New Knox 18kg anchor (2019) now matched with 60 m of 8mm chain and 30 m of anchorplait to run with new electric Lofrans 1000W windlass which has up/down switches On deck forward and in the cockpit.
8. Cabins and accommodation. All portlights and hatches reglazed and revealed. New curtains throughout. Lee cloths on saloon and quarterberth added.
As you can see, this is a major upgrade and although most of the work has been done there are a few other things such as a new liferaft which are yet to come.
The only problem is that we can't sail anywhere at the moment! But guarantee as soon as we are able, we will be back in the water. Just have to be content with sowing seeds in the greenhouse.