The story of Topaz Rival

Sailing adventures of one man and his dog. Please feel free to leave a comment!

Waiting for a mechanic

Moving on from yesterday's disaster, I called the Spanish Rescue Services for advice on getting a tow to a marina where I could get the engine fixed. They were super efficient and in less than an hour I was being pulled by a big orange lifeboat towards Aguadulce. Before accepting the tow, I checked with the insurance company and was reassured that I would almost certainly be reimbursed for the cost. I know this was accepting defeat, but I didn't think that if I stayed at the anchorage for a week I could fix the engine on my own and the weather forecast left no opportunity to sail to anywhere suitable. So here we are sitting on the waiting pontoon waiting for a mechanic to arrive on Monday morning. At least the marina team here are friendly and helpful. If I hadn't broken down on the way to San Jose then I would have been severely disappointed as when I looked at my phone to check out the Cabo Gato anchorage on the Navily app I got the following message: "Thank you for your request. Unfortunately, we no longer have availability for boats of your size. Best regards, The Port Team." I wonder how big you have to be to get accepted? By the way, the nearest marina from San Jose in the direction I was going was another 45 miles!


Comments




Previous | List | Random | Next