The story of Topaz Rival

Sailing adventures of one man and his dog. Please feel free to leave a comment!

Anchored again

Given the engine problems in Aguadulce, I opted to pick up Dawn in a hire car from Alicante airport on Monday night. Meanwhile, earlier in the day the mechanic had identified the problem as diesel bug in the fuel and cleaned out the pipes to the fuel filter and from the valve connecting the tank to the filter. He advised getting the tank cleaned as soon as possible as he couldn't do it in Aguadulce. He suggested that if it happened again, a "get you home" solution was to disconnect the pipe from the filter and put it in a jerry can full of clean diesel (I have two 20 litre cans on board). We found a "fuel polishing" service in Torreveja (near Alicante) and optimistically set off in that direction. All was going well for about 10 hours, but then the engine died, with little wind. Our calculations were that we had enough fuel to keep heading in the same direction with other ports available before Torrevieja if we ran out. But what we didn't realise until the first can was empty was that a diesel engine only burns a percentage of the fuel through its injectors with the surplus being piped back to the tank. Unfortunately in our case, this meant the surplus went into the main tank and not our jerry can. So 20 litres suddenly became less than seven useful in propelling us forwards. A swift recalculation and a decision to divert immediately to Garrucha, the nearest safe haven. We almost made it with a combination of sailing and judicious use of fuel but ran out completely about three quarters of a mile out and had to anchor off the beach at three a.m! In the morning we loaded ourselves, Buzz and a jerry can and had a dinghy ride to the fuel dock. Finally we made it to harbour that afternoon, hoping against hope we would make it without the engine failing in a strong tailwind. Success, and we are now looking forward to a relaxing weekend before an engineer comes on Monday morning to look at options for cleaning the tank. I must say Dawn was fantastic during the crisis and saved the day cutting down thin fuel hose to extend the existing pipe to the bottom of the jerry can. Not quite the relaxing Mediterranean sailing holiday she was expecting. Such is the boating life.


Comments




Previous | List | Random | Next