Torea's travels

20 December 2023
20 December 2023
20 December 2023
20 December 2023
20 December 2023
20 December 2023
23 November 2023
23 November 2023
02 November 2023
02 November 2023
02 November 2023
29 October 2023
29 October 2023

To and from Hobart

15 January 2023
Stephen and Kristina Hall
Almost 14 days after we started from Sydney and 12 days after Comanche, the fastest boat of the Sydney-Hobart race made it into Hobart, we finally arrived there and spent two nights at the visitor pontoon in the Marina in Hobart. I bet you though, we had a far more relaxed time than the racers getting to Hobart. The last stop after Flinders Bay was in Barnes Bay - the weather was not at all as one would expect for this time of the year so we found shelter in either Simmons Bay or the Duckpond. There is not much to do there - apart from a walk on the dirt road along the bay. Getting to Barnes Bay from Flinders was a pretty nice sail with sufficient wind to take us the whole way. We got off to a flying start and soon had the sails reefed but the wind abated a bit shortly after for an easy sail. 
The sail up north to Hobart was the same - the wind was pretty good in the beginning and we sailed with 7.3 knots at times. But having left the D'Entrecasteaux Channel the wind dropped and for the last few sea miles we needed plenty of patience in the erratic Derwent Estuary breeze, arriving at Bellerive Bay at dusk.
I liked Hobart, it has a charming center with old buildings, quite a few with art nouveau decoration. There are lots of restaurants and cafés; one of the latter has also a couple of washing machines and tumble driers which were very welcome. While waiting for our laundry, we enjoyed lunch there; Steve of course a carnivore, had meat and I had a very rich veggie sandwich. We were both chuffed and stuffed. That much stuffed, that we postponed our pizza to the second night in Hobart.
Kings Pier Marina, Sullivans Cove to be precise, is for visitors only and one is not supposed to stay for longer than 5 hours. But Ian, the guy from the Maritime and safety Tasmania said it was okay to stay two nights.
In the morning of Jan 11 we left Hobart and headed back to Barnes Bay.

photo: leaving Hobart
Comments
Vessel Name: Torea
Vessel Make/Model: Bill Couldrey
Hailing Port: New Zealand
Crew: Steve Hall and Kristina Herzogenrath
Extra: Torea was launched in 1966 as an offshore racing yacht. She was designed by Bill Couldrey and built by Keith Atkinson in triple diagonal kauri. Torea competed and finished in the 1969 Sydney Hobart race.

Who: Steve Hall and Kristina Herzogenrath
Port: New Zealand