Tortue's voyage

Tortue de Mer, in Greece and beyond!

Vessel Name: Tortue de Mer
Vessel Make/Model: Jeantot Marine, Privelege 39
Hailing Port: Sete, France
Crew: Michael Karamanof et al.
Social:
01 July 2020 | Fort de France
27 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
22 June 2020 | Ste Anne, Martinique
20 June 2020 | Ste Anne
11 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
07 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
31 May 2020 | St Anne, Martinique
23 May 2020 | Anse a l’Ane, Martinique
21 May 2020 | Anse a l’ Ane, Martinique
15 May 2020 | Anse a l’ Ane, Martinique
10 May 2020 | Pigeon, Guadeloupe
10 May 2020 | Deep Bay
10 May 2020 | English Harbour
24 April 2020 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
21 April 2020 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
13 April 2020 | Galley Bay, Antigua
13 April 2020 | Galley Bay, Antigua
03 April 2020 | Galley Bay, Antigua
30 March 2020 | Antigua
25 March 2020 | Basseterre, St Kitts
Recent Blog Posts
01 July 2020 | Fort de France

Going to miss her!

Our Sunday farewell at Grande Anse was spectacular, great evening, Thomas on form with the guitar, the morning snorkeling rewarded us both with four turtle sightings each! Yesterday early afternoon we got into the marina Etang Zabricot and completed all the last preparations on the boat for the hurricane [...]

27 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique

Counting sleeps

Eleven months she has been my home, apart from the lockdown interlude in Antigua, of course I am going to miss her, it will be strange not sleeping in my cabin for a while!

22 June 2020 | Ste Anne, Martinique

Pressing the pause button

It’s been decided, Tortue de Mer stays here on Martinique and we are flying back to Europe. We are going to secure the boat and I will resume sailing in or around November. With quarantine compulsory all over the surrounding islands, no crew able to come join us, hurricane season upon us and Panama closed for outgoing flights, it seems the best solution at the moment. Tickets bought, Greece here I come! And SA when they decide to allow travel... Watch this space for further updates, currently relaxing in Ste Anne, weather definitely changing.

20 June 2020 | Ste Anne

Changing plans, a constant!

Well, Panama being closed for flights and the rest of the Caribbean slowly opening, we didn’t want to risk getting stuck in Panama. Also without friends/crew being able to arrive as planned, it’s getting increasingly difficult to move forward... Thus the alternative plan is to get to Grenada, secure the boat for the tropical storm season and return to Europe and SA till the end of the year, hopefully after all the corona peaks!? We have meantime a new Genoa furler, a new gooseneck for our trusted boom and a boat in very good general condition. Apply here or by email for crewing on the next leg(s)! 😎 Our last days on Martinique, one of our Caribbean homes, we are spending diving, fishing, fixing, cooking and eating scrumptious meals, watching Black Sails and sampling various rums amongst other activities. By far not bored, but frustrated that the virus had the last word in our plans...

11 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique

Last preparations

DHL took their time, but eventually got the sail cleared from customs and we picked it up yesterday coming back to Le Marin after two beautiful days in Ste Anne again. The countdown started for our departure to Panama, weather got definitely wetter, reminding us also, it’s time to go! A few more farewell drinks, some last-minute shopping, organizing things in Panama for our arrival... The general program remains leaving the boat in Panama and making our way to Europe sometime in July, thereafter resuming the trip in January.

07 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique

Beaten?

Days fly, situations change! Marina life: Done some repairs (port engine water pump), bought some more spares, given up on the diesel generator and bought a small petrol-driven one, partied heavily with both Greeks and Belgians, tracked our sail arriving by DHL only on 15 June and more! We hired a car [...]

Going to miss her!

01 July 2020 | Fort de France
Michail Karamanof | Stuffy and hot
Our Sunday farewell at Grande Anse was spectacular, great evening, Thomas on form with the guitar, the morning snorkeling rewarded us both with four turtle sightings each! Yesterday early afternoon we got into the marina Etang Zabricot and completed all the last preparations on the boat for the hurricane season, eight stern lines, two mooring lines should keep her in place.
Meantime in Paris with a European schedule, plan to be back On board in November, won’t be updating the blog until then, but will stay in contact with all of you interested sailors re the continuation of the round the world trip, till soon!

Counting sleeps

27 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
Michail Karamanof | Breezy and overcast
Eleven months she has been my home, apart from the lockdown interlude in Antigua, of course I am going to miss her, it will be strange not sleeping in my cabin for a while!
Nevertheless here we are, been preparing the boat for hurricane season, stripping all non-essentials from the deck, cleaning, tidying up... Received great news from the marina Etang Zabricot in Fort de France, they had a cancellation and we got a place for the season.
Meantime got my friend Stavros to give me a haircut in the Marin shipyard today, very professional!

Pressing the pause button

22 June 2020 | Ste Anne, Martinique
Michail Karamanof | Sandy Sahara wind
It’s been decided, Tortue de Mer stays here on Martinique and we are flying back to Europe. We are going to secure the boat and I will resume sailing in or around November. With quarantine compulsory all over the surrounding islands, no crew able to come join us, hurricane season upon us and Panama closed for outgoing flights, it seems the best solution at the moment. Tickets bought, Greece here I come! And SA when they decide to allow travel... Watch this space for further updates, currently relaxing in Ste Anne, weather definitely changing.

Changing plans, a constant!

20 June 2020 | Ste Anne
Michail Karamanof | Windier and humid
Well, Panama being closed for flights and the rest of the Caribbean slowly opening, we didn’t want to risk getting stuck in Panama. Also without friends/crew being able to arrive as planned, it’s getting increasingly difficult to move forward... Thus the alternative plan is to get to Grenada, secure the boat for the tropical storm season and return to Europe and SA till the end of the year, hopefully after all the corona peaks!? We have meantime a new Genoa furler, a new gooseneck for our trusted boom and a boat in very good general condition. Apply here or by email for crewing on the next leg(s)! 😎 Our last days on Martinique, one of our Caribbean homes, we are spending diving, fishing, fixing, cooking and eating scrumptious meals, watching Black Sails and sampling various rums amongst other activities. By far not bored, but frustrated that the virus had the last word in our plans...

Last preparations

11 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
Michail Karamanof | Rainy and damp
DHL took their time, but eventually got the sail cleared from customs and we picked it up yesterday coming back to Le Marin after two beautiful days in Ste Anne again. The countdown started for our departure to Panama, weather got definitely wetter, reminding us also, it’s time to go! A few more farewell drinks, some last-minute shopping, organizing things in Panama for our arrival... The general program remains leaving the boat in Panama and making our way to Europe sometime in July, thereafter resuming the trip in January.

Beaten?

07 June 2020 | Le Marin, Martinique
Michail Karamanof | Overcast, hot and humid
Days fly, situations change! Marina life: Done some repairs (port engine water pump), bought some more spares, given up on the diesel generator and bought a small petrol-driven one, partied heavily with both Greeks and Belgians, tracked our sail arriving by DHL only on 15 June and more! We hired a car and visited St Pierre again and its famous Depaz distillery (see pic).
Also heard of trouble brewing in Tahiti with visiting yachts.
There is a possibility, we secure the boat in Panama, fly back if we can and get on with the program only beginning of next year with a crew of 4, as was originally planned, hoping things will normalize by then. No final decision yet.
Tomorrow we will go back to Sainte Anne for some snorkeling, fishing and backgammon matches! Meantime we have company anchored there, Claude and Pascale, Fred and gf... looking forward to a swim again and the nice breeze which puts us asleep at anchor!
Tortue de Mer's Photos - Main
Wildlife, sunsets, weather
2 Photos
Created 8 November 2019
No Photos
Created 16 June 2019