Travels of Feath

Northwards on Lake Huron

05 July 2016
Hello again. It has been a while since I last posted. Not for lack of wanting to, but just getting to a marina that has a WI-FI, has been a struggle.
We left Algonac and we travelled up the St. Clair River. Now, I must add if I haven’t yet. When we entered the Detroit River, I was doing about 9 ½ mph. As soon as we entered the river, my speed dropped down to 7.1 mph. It was a long slog up to the marina in Detroit. When we left Detroit and went up to Algonac, we crossed Lake St. Clair. Speed again about 9 ½ mph. When we left Algonac and headed up the St. Clair River, I had the boat at the same rpm’s as I would for 9 ½ mph. Again, we did about 7.1. Our Great Lakes Cruising Club report on the St. Clair River for Port Huron and the Blue Water Bridge, states that ‘we should stay to the Canadian side of the river, as the current coming out of Lake Huron, under the Blue Water Bridge is way stronger on the American side of the River. The river narrows at the Bridge and also curves. As we got closer to the Blue Water Bridge, I again had the rpm’s set for about 9 ½ mph. As we got closer to the bridge, our speed dropped down below 5 mph. After we got through the bridge and about ¾ of a mile into Lake Huron, our speed went back up to 9 ½ mph. We cruised up along the ‘Thumb’ of Michigan and both Nancy and I were very surprised that the shoreline North of Port Huron almost all the way to Port Austin, is sand beach. I had no idea. I assumed, very wrongly that it was rocky.
We stopped for the night in Harbor Beach, nice little marina, not really close to town or anything, but a nice stop. The next day we headed off for East Tawas, roughly 50 or so miles North then across Saginaw Bay. We were picking up my sisters for the remainder of the journey. Of course, we got in on Thursday at the beginning of the Fourth of July Holiday weekend. We also got a chance to see our Nephew Dale, his wife Linda and their son Sullivan again, as they came up on Saturday. East Tawas State Dock was very disappointing. The Dockmaster as well as the State DNR office will be hearing from me. Each and every time that you had to walk to or from your boat, you had to run the gauntlet of the ‘seasonal’ boaters from the Bay City area. There were signs stating that there was NO Alcoholic Beverages Open on the Dock. All these people did was drink, then play the music from boat to boat louder than the next boat. If you did want to use a cart to haul stuff to you boat, you almost had to ask permission to weave through their ‘parties’. I don’t mind a little partying around, but when you can’t walk on the dock, and people are getting rude because you are hauling stuff to your boat and they party till almost 1 AM, VERY LOUDLY, then I will say something. I did get into it with a group. I was hauling a cart back up to the bathroom area where the carts were kept and had to go through this group of people, who were horrendous. I stopped and politely asked them to please move. One gentleman didn’t move and didn’t move. I more loudly than the time before kept saying ‘Sir, SIR, SIR!!!’. Some woman, looked at me and when ‘Jeeze’. I then unloaded on her about my paying for a slip and having as much right to use the dock as they do and that I shouldn’t have to ask to have people move to do what I need to do. Nobody in their group said a word.
So, we left East Tawas on Monday morning and travelled as far as Alpena. We stopped for the night and just bedded down.
Today, Tuesday, we travelled from Alpena, MI to Rogers City, MI, as distance of around 62 miles. We went to dinner at a great restaurant and bought some groceries. Rogers City Marina is one of the nicest marinas that I have been too. The Harbor Master is great, the staff is great the marina is clean and quiet. We are not sure what tomorrow will be. There is a good chance of Thunderstorms tomorrow morning, then clear Thursday, then 100% chance of Thunderstorms on Friday, so we are not sure if we will be leaving in the morning or not. We will either go to Cheboygan, MI or to Mackinaw City when we do leave. So far, it is going okey dokey. The picture is the best that I could do to show the current under the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron.
Comments
Vessel Name: Feath (fee-a)
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
Hailing Port: Muskegon, MI
Crew: Lenny & Nancy Buchanan
About:
We have owned sailboats up until November of 2015, when we purchased our 1989 Jefferson Sundeck Motoryacht in New Jersey. In 2016, we brought the boat back to Michigan via the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Welland Canal, Lake Erie and up the Detroit River, St. [...]
Feath (fee-a)'s Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2021
10 Photos
Created 21 August 2021
9 Photos
Created 13 August 2021
6 Photos
Created 8 August 2021
14 Photos
Created 2 August 2021
Leaving Silver Bay and some sights along the way and some Apostle Island shots
11 Photos
Created 27 July 2021
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2021
7 Photos
Created 23 July 2021
12 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2021
Pictures of things along the way from Marquette to Houghton
9 Photos
Created 3 July 2021
Pictures of various things, places and things we really can't see on our travels from Mackinaw City to Munising
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2021
Some pics of the storms the passed us and the blue sky that awaited our arrival under the Mackinaw Bridge and Mackinaw City on Tuesday, June 22, 2021
5 Photos
Created 24 June 2021
These pictures are for our trip from Muskegon, MI to Duluth, MN and back with points known and unknown along the way there and back.
9 Photos
Created 21 June 2021
6 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
9 Photos
Created 17 July 2016
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2016
9 Photos
Created 5 July 2016
16 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
11 Photos
Created 23 June 2016
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2016
Just some assorted pics that I missed earlier and some taken relatively recently.
10 Photos
Created 12 June 2016
Some pictures of our days on the Hudson River and the Erie Canal
13 Photos
Created 10 June 2016
Things we have seen on the first two days of our trip.
14 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Some pictures of the boat going in the water.
4 Photos
Created 23 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 24 March 2016
Pictures of the trip out to New Jersey to work on our boat as well as the surrounding area and our journey bringing Feath home to Michigan
10 Photos
Created 24 March 2016