Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

Cozy with cats in Port Maurelle

10 September 2017 | Port Maurelle anchorage, Kapa Island, Vava’u Group, Tonga
Photo: A green turtle swims by while we snorkel near Nuku Island
With our unexpected invitation from SV Serengeti to a pot-luck party on Saturday evening (September 9th) we approached the party site at Nuku Island (anchorage # 8) the day before, hoping to find a good anchoring spot before it became too crowded. We tried to anchor in a big space between Serengeti and a catamaran but we could not get the anchor to hold. We were not willing to allow the anchor to catch, or the chain to rub, on coral so we chose to abandon the effort and motored 1 nm north to a cove we had visited in 2015, Port Maurelle.

Here we found sand and good holding between some moored boats and we all seemed to be nicely separated. As we returned from a snorkel, we found that a charter catamaran had tried to take the mooring with no float that was close to us. We had not seen the submerged ropes for the mooring until we snorkeled by them and they did not look very reliable. The catamaran crew had come to the same conclusion but rather than looking for another place to anchor, they anchored by the mooring which put them very close to Tregoning. This was a bit irritating but one member of the four couples renting the big boat came over to chat with us. So we agreed that it would be fine for a night but it was rather odd to be looking so closely into their cockpit area.



Tregoning getting cozy with chartered catamarans off each side of her stern

The snorkeling on the south side of the bay had, as I had remembered it from our previous visit, exceptionally clear water, very little living coral, but a good variety of fish species. These included ones that were new to me: Bleeker’s parrotfish, bicolor blenny, crown squirrelfish, spottail dartfish, and a parva goby.

On Saturday morning we took the dinghy back to Nuku Island where Katie and Jeff on SV Mezzaluna kindly told us where they had snorkeled on a pair of “seamounts” well to the east of the anchorage. Following their advice, we found good deep drop-offs on the outside where we had a fabulous view of a green turtle that became a bit curious about us. The visibility was not as good on the shallower side and there were only small patches of living coral. I was starting to see why Gail on SV Local Talent was becoming rather depressed about the state of the coral in Tonga, especially when she compared it to what she remembered from five years ago.

Sadly, she and Dean had missed snorkeling at Ha’afeva on their way through the Ha’apai Group so we strongly encouraged them stop there on their way back to New Zealand. We are yet to learn whether that will be possible, however, because they have spent almost four months in Tonga after which time you have to get a cruising permit from the Customs Office to avoid paying a substantial import tax on your boat. While getting such a permit for 12 months has seemed to be a routine paperwork and financial transaction in the past, we have been hearing on the VHF radio that no boats were being granted a permit of more than a week or two and, consequently, several were having to leave the country unexpectedly early because of this.



A boat anchored off the “party beach” at the north end of Nuku Island

While we were snorkeling, SV French Curve arrived at the edge of the Nuku Island anchorage. We greeted them from the dinghy as we returned towards Port Maurelle but had more time to chat at the evening’s pot-luck dinner on the island’s small beach. We had last seen Cheryl and Mark at San Felipe at the north end of the Sea of Cortez in Mexico in 2014. While we spent a second winter in Mexico, they pressed south along the Central American coast. We all left for French Polynesia in early 2015 but they were sailing from the Galapagos Islands and arrived after we had got there from Mexico.

While we scurried through French Polynesia in three months (keen to get to New Zealand for the southern summer), they stayed there for two years and only left a few months ago. While their tales of spending so much time in the Tuamotu and Society Islands sounded wonderful, we have no regrets about hurrying on to New Zealand. The only country that they visited that I feel was bit of a pity that we missed along the way, was Niue but we had chosen to go north to Penrhyn in the Cook Islands and American Samoa. If only it was easy to sail eastward to Niue from New Zealand…but it is not.



Cheryl and Mark from SV French Curve

The crews from about a dozen boats attended the pot-luck party and the selection of food was particularly tasty. There were several cakes for dessert including a cake that I had decorated with the words “Happy Birthdays”. This was because we were celebrating the September birthdays of five people (including mine and Cheryl’s), all of whom were women (presumably this was coincidental). Several people brought instruments so for a while Randall and Mark played their guitars while others sang and played ukuleles or percussion instrument. Eventually they were silenced by the smoke from a beach-fire that someone had unfortunately lit directly upwind of the musicians.



Dinghies lined-up at the party beach on Nuku Island

Luckily, the Digicel phone coverage in Vava’u is good so we could maintain access to the internet. Keeping tabs on the progress of Hurricane Irma across the northern Caribbean and Florida, we were especially concerned about UF friends Dan and Kathy who had evacuated from their waterfront house in the Florida Keys (and had a waterfront rental house in Crystal River), and cruising friends Kathy and Dan with their boat in Titusville on Florida’s east coast.

As if the hurricanes were not providing enough natural disasters to dominate the news, we heard of the devastating earthquake in Chiapas, Mexico. It caused tsunami warnings throughout the South Pacific but being early on Saturday morning, we did not know about them until the tsunami would have already reached Tonga. Fortunately for us, the warnings were for tidal surges of less than 0.3 m (12 inches) which, if they reached us at all within the reefs and islands of the Vava’u Group, were not noticeable. Strangely, after going to bed thinking about hurricanes, I had woken at 5:30 am and told Randall of my rather anxious dream about a tsunami before we got any news about the earthquake. So maybe I did detect some change in the water movement that had woken me up…or maybe I dream about tsunami and other water related issues on a regular enough basis for it not to be such an unlikely coincidence. Weird but, at least in this case, not particularly useful.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013