Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

A Fond Farewell to Fiji

14 August 2018 | Suva Harbour off the Royal Suva Yacht Club, Fiji
Photo: Boats (Zoonie at left) anchored in the Bay of Islands, Vanua Balavu
Bright and early tomorrow morning (August 15th) we shall, rather sadly, take our leave of Fiji. We wish that we had more time to spend here as we have barely scratched the surface of this friendly nation of many, varied islands. However, the distant approach of cyclone season (starting in November) is relentless and if we wish to see anything of Vanuatu and New Caledonia on our way, we need to continue westwards towards Australia.

My good intentions to catch-up with detailed blog entries and photographs from earlier in our stay in Fiji have been stymied so another update will have to suffice for now. I cannot blame this delay on time spent on Randall’s dental work, which was the reason that we returned to Suva. This progressed incredibly quickly and competently with it taking less than 90 minutes from the moment we walked into the Stewart Street Dental Practice, until departing with a well-fitting new crown.

The dentist, Dr Singh, was charming and highly instructive, providing a master-class on how to: prepare the remaining piece of tooth; use the x-ray to check that the root was healthy; make a 3-D digital scan of where the crown would go; adjust the computer-generated crown to be sufficiently strong and to fit appropriately between the other teeth; automatically mill the crown on a machine not much larger than a bread-bin (as we watched); and to fit and glue the crown in place. All this was done with his work projected on a TV screen so that I could watch (Randall had a rather obstructed view) and with this former university teacher explaining every step of the procedure. We had been able to get an appointment at 9 am on the morning after we arrived in Suva and the whole thing cost F$1,075 (about US$530) which is amazing. You will hear no complaints from us and only recommendations for this particular dentist, who decided to buy his own crown-milling equipment rather than wait five weeks after making a mold to receive crowns milled in China.

Instead, my excuses for inattention to the blog range from severe fatigue resulting from a nasty lingering cold to spending a lovely time playing music and socializing with Vandy and Eric from SV Scoots, and with Maria and Bavo on SV Devocean (who kindly prolonged their stay in Suva for a day on hearing that we were returning), Lynette and John on SV White Hawk, and Judy and Steve on SV Code Blue (still waiting to get their autopilot fixed or replaced). Needless to say, it has been difficult to say good-bye to these fellow cruisers, especially Vandy and Eric who have become such close friends and who are not (currently) planning to follow us very far westward. During our second stay in Suva, their engine part finally arrived and they were able to install it successfully. This has finally freed them to leave Suva after more than a month here, despite having a damaged generator that will require special attention until they return to New Zealand in October.

Amazingly, even though Rob and Barb on SV Zoonie (still enjoying the Lau Group of Islands) had also suffered from colds, it looks as though Randall may have avoided it. There are many people with coughs and sneezes in Suva so it will be wonderful if he really stays free of the virus and so far, so good. I did not aid my recovery by snorkeling at the Bay of Islands in Vanua Balavu before we left (in my defense, I only snorkeled there once whereas Randall went twice), so the congestion seems to have lodged rather more stubbornly in my sinuses. Oh well...I do not always make the most sensible decisions when snorkeling and birding options are concerned.

And that leads to my last excuse for inattention to the blog, I have spent much of my precious online-time examining the identification of reef-fish in an effort to make my survey data for REEF.ORG (eight surveys in Fiji) as accurate as possible. I still have not finished submitting my first survey online (it should be a quicker process after the first time) but I feel pretty confident about the accuracy of what I am submitting. The perfectionist researcher in me rears her head...

Having cleared out with Immigration and Customs today, our plan is to leave Suva at first light tomorrow (about 6 am) and spend almost a week sailing mostly (we hope) downwind to Luganville on the island of Espiritu Santo in the northern half of Vanuatu. Luganville has plenty of World War II relics and history (one Randall’s uncles was a signalman there) and there should be some good snorkeling too. After a week there, we will island-hop (mostly day-sails) into the prevailing wind down to Port Vila (the capital) then to Tanna where we hope to take a tour up to the lip of a rumbling, fairly active volcano. We will then leave from Tanna for New Caledonia. These are our current plans, at least, but as we know, weather conditions and the very active volcano that we will pass-by on the Vanuatu Island of Ambae, could change those plans. Such are the vagaries of cruising.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013