Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

Inspired fishing

18 June 2021 | Long Beach, Great Keppel Island, QLD, Australia
Alison Stocker | Photo: Clouds lit by the late-afternoon sun over Long Beach, GKI
Despite being slightly regretful that we did not have the opportunity to go ashore or explore more of the reef at Mast Head Island, we had no hesitation in casting-off the mooring lines at 5:20 am on Wednesday (16th June). Northerly winds were forecast again for that evening, so we needed to be somewhere else, and none of the other reefs in this area had northerly protection. We departed for the southern coast of Great Keppel Island.

The calm weather that we had been craving for the last two weeks for snorkeling and visiting new reefs, now taunted us with insufficient wind to sail on our 47 nm northwest passage. Instead, by mid-morning we motored into a fog bank that reduced visibility at times to about 0.1 nm. This was not really a problem because there were few other vessels on our route and we could use the radar to "see" into the fog. But they were strange conditions in which to cross over the Tropic of Capricorn.

Inspired by Ciaron's tasty gift and discussions with Adam and Rachel on SV Lady Annabelle, Randall trolled a fishing line until we reached an area of Marine National Park zone where no fishing is allowed. Just before he had to reel-in the lines and store the rods below, one of the reels started to scream and I slowed us down while he pulled in a good-sized fish (about 60 cm or 24 inches). Having not done much fishing in Australia, we had to look-up this pelagic species online, and decided that it was a school mackerel. Fried in Panko breadcrumbs, it provide two delicious dinners.



The school mackerel that Randall caught

Fortunately, the fog had lifted a little by the time we reached the Keppel Islands, so we had no difficulty in finding a suitable place to anchor on the south side of Great Keppel Island. Although a light wind was now blowing from the east, it was due to turn northerly again overnight, so we anchored near one other boat at the west end of Long Beach.

The following day, with plenty of organizing and cleaning to do on Tregoning before Hillary and Glen arrived on Saturday afternoon, I sadly resisted the temptation to try to talk Randall into launching the dinghy for either a walk on the Island or a snorkel. It was quite a painful sacrifice because the calm, sunny conditions were perfect for both of these activities. Many other boats joined us in the anchorage with happy crews buzzing around in their dinghies, including one couple who had a long snorkel around nearby Monkey Point. Still, it was satisfying to get the galley, floors, and bathrooms thoroughly cleaned without the boat rolling.



A double rainbow seen in the late afternoon from Long Beach, Great Keppel Island

The boats thinned-out on Thursday afternoon with the forecast for the wind to swing around to the southwest. We awoke on Friday with some protection from Monkey Point but it did not take long for the winds to stiffen and the direction to become more southerly. By 7 am, it was time to leave this unprotected lee-shore. However, the entrance to Keppel Bay Marina can be a little shallow, so we did not want to arrive there much before noon when the half-tide would be rising.

Instead, we sailed and motor-sailed our way anti-clockwise around Great Keppel Island, looking at potential anchorages, such as on the north side of Humpy Island, to use during Hillary and Glen's visit. Frustratingly, strong southeasterly winds were forecast for much of the week, so we were not certain that we would be spending much time out of the marina but we could be flexible. There were no boats in the large Wreck Bay on the east side of Great Keppel (maybe the name was a clue), but about 25 were scattered through the anchorages on the northern coast. Unlike our last visit there, it did not look too rolly, so that was encouraging.



A white-breasted sea-eagle in flight (to 84 cm or 33 inches) seen during our circumnavigation of Great Keppel Island

We aimed for the mainland by taking the channel between Great Keppel and Middle Islands, which we had not used before. The channel between various rocks is marked and looked more than deep enough on our chart. However, we were a little surprised to find only just enough depth over sand south of the channel, and made a note not to use it again except at high tide. A rather ponderous sail westward using only the jib in fairly light winds, allowed us to delay our arrival at the marina until noon, and we reached our berth without any concerns about running aground.

We now had about 24 hours until our guests arrived which meant a frenzy of activity to hose-down the decks and to clear-out and clean the front cabin. Rising at 4 am the next day, allowed me to beat the rush of people wanting to use the washing machines, and by 8 am I had the five loads that comprised five weeks' worth of laundry, washed, dried, and folded. We were now ready to greet our visitors, and plan a week of exploring the Capricorn Coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013