Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

More on Antigua

02 April 2016 | Antigua
Ros Brice
The surprising thing about this Caribbean journey is how each island is same, same but also very different. As we've sailed north first through the Windward Islands and then Leeward Islands, each island has a distinguishing difference and for Antigua, it is the beautiful beaches. You know that image in your head of the perfect golden sandy beach, with the perfect aquamarine water, coconut palms swishing in the background, nothing on the beach except for one brightly coloured umbrella and a colourful figure somewhere in the distance leaving only footprints, that is really here in Antigua!
In our hire car we drove north from Jolly Harbour on the western side of the island, through fairly uninteresting flat terrain which as dotted with small communities, to the capital of Antigua St John's, which is tucked on a sheltered bay, about 5 miles west of the international airport. Intriguingly shabby, St John's is the commercial centre for the island. We sat at traffic lights on several occasions long enough to observe the true flavour of the local citizens. St John's is a cruise ship destination and to the north of St John's is where the middle market of mainly British and American tourists head to the busy resorts on Dickenson Bay. Having no desire to explore that scene, we headed around the other side of the peninsula to Fort James and found our perfect beach called Limerez Beach. A delightful timber beach bar built just 2 years ago was tucked up into the headland end of the beach, and this is where we found some coffee and local cake, while we soaked up the vista.
From here we travelled inland and to the south along All Saints Road, initially through fairly flat terrain after leaving the coast, noting a large number of churches of every creed and size. This seemed to jar with the observation that although the churches were often very large and well maintained, the local housing was basic and somewhat unkempt. We reached the coast at Falmouth Harbour which is where Trilogy will later be hauled out for the hurricane season and the skipper wanted to meet the people he had already been dealing with. The marina was small in size but filled with the most magnificent yachts, all vying for the longest, shiniest, tallest mast, etc. We ate a light lunch at the marina cafe and just as we finished, Brave Heart berthed at the marina and proudly took her place among the giants.
Many were Oysters, who had gathered for a race the coming weekend, as a prelude to the racing season. Yachts from all over the world come to Falmouth and English Harbours in late April for the Antigua Sailing Week. From small beginnings, this regatta has developed over more than 48 years to become one of the pre-eminent yacht racing events in the Caribbean and one of the most prestigious worldwide.
Our next stop was Nelson's Dockyard, set on English Harbour. This world famous dockyard was named after Admiral Horatio Nelson and is Antigua's most prized historic possession. English Harbour's importance grew in the 18th century and was originally established to provide the British Royal Navy with a dockyard where they could keep their ships in good repair in order to maintain their ascendancy in the Caribbean against other European powers. It is also an ideal port to keep the fleet in troubled times since the enclosed harbour of Freeman's Bay is almost invisible from the sea. The narrow entrance was protected by Fort Berkeley, completed in 1744. It also served as a hurricane refuge and for careening His Majesty's ships in the deep water against the shore. By being able to repair, victual and water ships in the West Indies, Britain was able to keep a squadron of ships continually in the Caribbean, thus maintaining naval superiority over the enemy.
Admiral Horatio Nelson spent formative years here, arriving at age 26, in command of the frigate Boreas. He was Senior Captain and Second-in-Command of the Leeward Islands Station, whose headquarters were in English Harbour. Nelson never lived ashore while in Antigua. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring the lovely old buildings and stone seawall, built between 1815 and 1830 and restored in 2003, with yacht facilities added. The Dockyard Museum was most interesting and viewing what is purported to be Admiral Nelson's timber housed telescope was fascinating. As we will return to this area at the conclusion of our cruising season, we know there is something pretty special to further explore.
The remainder of our island tour took us along Fig Tree Drive, skirting the Shakerley Mountains in the south west, through a rainforest area where we noted remnants of banana and pineapple plantations. From there we once more connected with the southern coast where a string of beautiful beaches can be found, passing by Turner's Beach and Jacqui O's Love Beach before getting back to Tranquility Bay and Jolly Harbour.
Once our laundry was collected and sorted and the car returned, the usual evening pleasantries got underway. Garth and Sue raved about a Goulash they ate for dinner, which it turned out was prepared by the Hungarian born chef....many cultures blend in the Caribbean! The wind had not abated next day and we decided to have a lay day, enjoying a beach swim, pool swim, morning coffee, a soothing pedicure for the girls to remove the barnacles, a No3 buzz cut for Peter, some final shopping and minor repairs to Trilogy.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012