Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Catamaran Bay, Falmouth Harbour

14 June 2016 | Catamaran Bay, Antigua
Ros Brice
With Trilogy safely docked, our thoughts and actions turned to the task of preparing Trilogy to be hauled out of the water. The guys had already been preparing lists of things to ask the agent and it had been arranged that the agent, George, would meet with them at 09:00 Friday. We began some preliminary cleaning tasks in the afternoon and then went for a lovely dinner at a recommended restaurant called Cloggy's at the Falmouth Yacht Club. The meal was delicious and the setting just beautiful, looking across the Harbour.
At 09:00 George arrived and the boys spent a couple of hours discussing the services and repairs Trilogy required and the sequence of events, in the lead up to the haul out very early Tuesday morning, before the wind strength gets too high. George called a number of his service providers and before the day was out, several had paid Trilogy a visit. One was an electrician called King, and he turned up later with a CD of a recording of his band, himself being the lead singer. After a bit of chat, he asked us if we would like to go with him and his wife to Friday Night Seafood, which is a regular event in Nelson Dockyard. We enjoyed being part of this local event, with lots of families and friends sitting around tables enjoying themselves in the balmy breezes. There was rather loud music being played by a DJ but otherwise it was a quite affair, the seafood being the main feature.
Next day there was more work done on Trilogy for a few hours and then we hired a car from King ( yes, fingers in many pies!) and took a trip to the north east coast to check out the beaches. Google Maps had us going over some very rough roads in places, but eventually we arrived at Halfmoon Bay, which was reasonably protected from the strong easterly. Again we were told it was No 3 in the top 10 of beaches in the world......there seems to be an awful lot of No1s and No3s.....no one seems to be claiming No2! Anyway the beach was simply beautiful, with a lovely sweeping arc shape capped by rocky headlands. We snorkelled the rather dead coral and walked to the point where waves were crashing in. We were also told it is usually a lot rougher in the bay and surf is often present. An effervescent stall holder, Charmaine, filled us in with lots of local insights and we later bought a few pieces of her handmade craft items.
Next stop was Stringray City, which we had heard offered boat rides out to a colony of stingrays, which whom you can swim and feed. We were not able to do this as it was too late in the day, but we were advised that the stingrays still have their stings! Our third stop was at Long Beach, which was a beautiful white sandy stretch of beach, with two low key resorts at one end. It was late afternoon on Saturday and the local families were out in force, relaxing and enjoying the very calm and refreshing water. We simply relaxed and absorbed the delightful scene. As the families packed up to leave, we observed the ubiquitous ute being loaded up with children in the back tray, some standing, some sitting on the sides and some actually seated inside, with no safety restraints in sight....took us back to the sixties in Australia. As ripe mangos are dripping from the trees all over the island, each of the kids was tucking into an unpeeled mango with the greatest of ease. No cutting off the mango cheeks to feed this lot!
Sunday was the scheduled cleaning day and clean we did. Both below and above decks looked pristine by the end of the day. The air conditioning was working overtime to keep below decks cool enough and thankfully the high humidity was kept at bay. All the stainless steel was polished as we had learnt that the rust we had been observing in several areas on the decks was evidence of electrolysis occurring in the rigging, probably emanating from the Windless electric motor for the anchor. This has lead to a decision to take the mast down while Trilogy is out of the water, a job that is recommended about every 5 years, in order to check the mast and all the rigging.
Monday was a very busy day for the guys as all the servicemen turned up to do the requested work. There were as many as 12 servicemen on board at the one time, all with their different areas of expertise. By the end of the day, all services had been completed...now that's a record! The washed linen, towels and pillows had been stowed, ready for the next season. The girls got themselves out of the way all day by going to English Harbour for a 'girls day'. The highlight of the day was tracking down the sculptures by Tom Elicker, the artist we had met on St Croix at the Gunpowder Art Gallery. It was a superb exhibition of artwork by Dina Brozzi Goodenough, an Italian born and classically trained artist, who has lived in Antigua for many years. Tom's fine bronz sculptures perfectly complemented Dina's portraits in oil and ink. After a light lunch down by the water we found time for a bit of body pampering before catching the local bus back to Catamaran Bay. The men were naturally tired and hungry after their long hard day and we decided to take a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard to dine at the Admiral's Inn, a building dating back 300 years, from the days when Horatio Nelson had served at the establishment. It was early to bed because Trilogy needed us at 07:00.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012