Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

San Andrea, shipwrecks and Campo Nell ‘Elba

22 July 2019 | San Andrea
Ros Brice | Beautiful and barometer rising!
After a good night’s sleep, we were all keen to have another great swim. The men both had a pre breakfast swim, so the girls decided we would set off after breakfast to explore the rocky foreshore and swim towards the small beach called Scaglieri. The large, smooth rock formations were quite beautiful, especially because there was a white tiny saucer-shaped ‘flower’ carpeting many of the rocks. We sat for a while in the shallows enjoying the Italians ways of interacting on the beach. Nearly all women wear bikinis, and usually the briefer the better, with both cheeks fully revealed! Older women wear two piece numbers and confidence exudes as they strut their stuff. Kids are the same wherever you are in the world and were full of life! Italians seem to like playing beach tennis, batting a small hard ball with short handled hard racquets. We had to be careful not to get hit, because they were quite serious about winning the points.
When we got back to Trilogy, the men were nowhere to be seen.....and we thought they wanted to write emails! When they returned, they fessed up that they had found a cafe and had been ‘thinking’ we might like to join them! It was lunchtime by then, so we created individual salad bowls that featured smoked salmon and boiled eggs. With an afternoon siesta behind us, we all piled into the tender for a little explore further afield. We picked a rocky cove that had big clumps of weed scattered across the seabed and snorkelled there for a while with only a few fish and an enormous eel sighted.
On the way back we tied off at the dinghy dock of the 5 star Hotel Hermitage tucked up in the corner of the Biodola Beach. We were warmly invited to join them for dinner by the head waiter Antonio and we returned to Trilogy to smarten up as best we could. The Hermitage restaurant (one of four at the resort) was right on the beach and we saluted the magnificent sunset that lit up the sky. We were seated beside a small pool and each table setting had a fun decorative hand painted plate to welcome us. The food was wonderful until our Secondi arrived and Shena and I had a jaw dropping moment! We had both ordered ‘breaded veal chop’, which presented as a large dinner plate size schnitzel, with a small bone on one corner. It was massive and one serve would have served all of us! Sweet, juicy tiny tom tomatoes, rucola and shaved Parmesan were scattered across the plate, which added to the delicate yet delicious flavour, but there was little chance we could do it justice. However, with a little help from the men, the meals were finished. It was a lovely evening and nudging midnight, we retreated to our bunks.
To continue our exploration, we moved further west along the south coast for a short distance and dropped anchor outside the marina at the township of Marciana Marina. After a bit of trouble finding the dinghy dock, we headed for the Conad supermarket to top up on all things delicious. We managed to man- handle the trolley and numerous bags back to Trilogy and once stowed, we departed. We motored along the coast, seeing many pretty villages tucked into the folds of the hills as we went. The destination was San Andrea, which provided reasonable protection for the variable conditions, with the winds mostly coming from the east or the west! San Andrea was a very pretty township, with housing scattered up the hill and a cluster of cafes and restaurants down at beach level. There were stacks of umbrellas on the small sandy beach and a few umbrellas perched on the large smooth boulders. We have no idea how they were anchored down. Once settled, we ate a late lunch and had a beautiful swim in the incredibly clear aqua blue water. We explored the rocky shore which had some lovely schools of tiny fish and ended up on the beach, which was packed, being a Saturday. We had some money with us and it wasn’t long before we were all sipping on delicious affogatos, taking in the scene around us. A lovely Italian couple who were riding motor bikes around Elba for their holiday, chatted to us about what we were doing. The husband, who raced small yachts on a lake on the mainland, expressed his jealousy at our adventure. It jolted us a bit and served to remind us how fortunate we are! The cafe staff were so nice that we decided to return for dinner....something far simpler and less daunting than the previous night’s meal, but just as satisfying.
We awoke to smooth glassy water and it was just wonderful to swim away from Trilogy and enter the silent world of the sea. There were myriads of tiny fish that appeared black when swimming in one direction but flashed gold stripes when they turned. Deeper, swimming in and around the clumps of weed were slightly larger fish, shiny silver with a sizeable black spot in front of the tail. It was possible to just stay still and the tiny fish came very close, with apparently no fear. After our usual healthy bowl of muesli, yoghurt and fresh fruit, we got underway to continue down the east and onto the southern coastline. Again, the coastline was dotted with lovely townships hugging the coast, with high hills forming a backdrop. Near a beach called Pomonte, we noted a shipwreck marked in the pilot book and realised that there were lots of small craft gathered in the vicinity and many people snorkelling. We couldn’t resist stopping to investigate! Once Trilogy was anchored as close as was possible, we donned our snorkeling gear and headed off together to see what we could. It was the wreck of the Elviscot, a cargo ship of 65 metres, which sank in 1972, lying in only 12 metres. It sank because of a violent heavy sea that pushed it up on the rocks that lie just off the coast. We had a wonderful time, swimming firstly around the ocean side of the rocks that the Elviscot had foundered on and then back into the gap that she had come to rest in. The deck was in almost one piece and lay separate to the hull and wheel house. The sunlight shafted through the clear water and it was quite sobering to think about how frightening it must have been to hit rocks in heavy seas. There was no loss of life, as the ship didn’t immediately go down and it was about 100 metres from shore. The underwater cameras were working overtime! Although there were no sightings, it is said that octopus and eels have taken up residence. It was a memorable experience indeed!
After returning to Trilogy, it was lunchtime and we all enjoyed a lovely salad. We departed soon afterwards and headed for Golfo di Campo. This wide bay promised two sandy beaches and a marina. The main beach was long and sweeping and as always, filled with Italians enjoying the best of summer. We had plenty of space to anchor in and about 200 metres from the beach...a good swim away! We decided to take the tender ashore for a look-see and have dinner somewhere.
The township Campo Nell ‘Elba was spread along the foreshore, with the marina at one end. We promenaded along the beachfront, checking out several restaurants until we found one that appealed, Ristorante La Lucciola. The meals were delicious and we all really liked the caramelised balsamic that was provided for the bread. Needless to say, there was no bread left in the basket, or in the Chianti bottle!
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012